Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Wild Cats rome free in Minnesota

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

Wild Cats rome free in Minnesota

Talking with a Minnesota Conservation Officer and he warned me " DO NOT SHOOT ( or kill ) A CAT IN MINNESOTA ". Its a FELONY ... Minnesota dose not have a feral cat law . The PETA have a powerfull loby.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 PM

Re: Wild Cats rome free in Minnesota

I'll tell you I've seen plenty of them while out hunting. I'm surprised that would be considered a felony. You would think they want to eliminate them as they would an invasive species, which is pretty much what they are. Even a cute little house cat is a fierce hunter at heart. They hunt with skills we only wish we posessed. They are the result of irresponsible cat owners that don't spay or neuter their pets. I assume most of them are the result of barn cats that breed at will. I don't agree with the law, but I am not a law breaker, so the cats are safe.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

This last winter a wild cat showed up hanging out in the barn and was knocking the mice and pack rats so I started feeding it. I live in a very remote area and it is the first domestic wild cat I have ever seen here.

Well it is a female as it just had kittens. I have not seen another cat and am blown away about the whole affair. Will get her fixed but don't know what to do about the kittens. If I see any more will shoot them. Don't need domestic cats gone wild roaming around competing for food with the natural wildlife here.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 10-03-2011, 08:24 AM

I checked as best I could online, and I found a few references to it being completely legal to shoot feral cats in Minnesota with no restrictions. Does anybody know the actual legal status?
Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

I am going to mcheck again .
Old 10-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

I shoot every cat I see that isn't close to dwellings, they are pure hell on wildlife. Always need a barn cat but more than one is one to many!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Bronze Member

I agree with to many cats. I read in an article that tow cats in four years = 400,000. They need to be controlled.