Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

varmint rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: varmint rifle

Well I've been busy and have not been back on here until just recently, glad to see you went with the 243! it's a great round and can be accurate as all get-out. Your group is not bad could be better but it will come with practice and lots of trigger time but you'll get there! we all started at one time and most of us didn't one hole everytime After some time you'll find that you will probably want to do some things to your rifle that will help with your long range shooting and for some cheap fix have someone work your trigger, one of the best things you can do to a rifle is a good trigger, bedding helps and is another cheap thing you can do that helps, floating the barrel is another easy thing that can be done.

There are lots of things that can help you out but trigger time is the most important! get to where you are not thinging about the shot and things will start getting easier, I mean after you figure out your range and other good things and you know your right put the crosshairs on your target and things just happen you'll be getting close. Trigger time dude! you'll get there. Later,

Kirk
Old 11-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

When you decide to reload, I would highly recommend you spend the extra money and buy Lapua brass. Lapua brass alone will help your accuracy. Regarding accuracy, my friend has a .223 SPS, and he has shot some pretty good groups at 100 yards. His best 5 shot group, at 100 yards, was .5 moa. However, he does not consisatnly shoot these types of groups with this rifle. He stated his average was more like .7 to .8 moa at 100 yards with his .223 SPS. He plans to pull the nasty factory tuperware stock off and put a new Manners T4A Stock on it, plus bed it and put a Jewel trigger on it too . These upgrades should really make a difference in the accuracy department. The good thing about the Remington SPS Rifle, it allows those on a budget to be able to purchase a rifle. And when they can afford to do so, they can add top quality parts to it to make it even better.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Bronze Member

I bought a Remy 700 SPS Stainless in 243 last October. Bought some factory Winchester Super X 100 SP just to get some brass. After sighting in, made a trhee shoot group at 100 yards that I covered with a dime. Have photos but do not know how to attach it to this thread. I then reloaded some with 70 gr BT and up to the max with IMR 4350. My best group with an out of the box Remy was a slightly oblong hole. Again have photos but can not figure out how to attach them.
Great rifle, and love the 243.
Bear2