Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

USFWS considering pd endangered listing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 12:57 AM
Silver Member

USFWS considering pd endangered listing

Just to let everyone know what is going on.

Several organizations have petitioned the USFWS to list the prairie dog as endangered/threatened.

Endangered Species of the Mountain-Prairie Region: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

I have read many of the pages of the above and in my opinion they have dismissed recreational shooting as a factor. I will continue to study the documents. I have included the finding below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Finding

We (Fish and Wildlife Service) have assessed information provided by the petitioners and readily available in our files. On the basis of our evaluation, we find that the petition presents substantial information indicating that listing the black-tailed prairie dog under the act may be warranted based on threats associated with Factor C (sylvatic plague), Factor D (inadequate Federal and State regulations), and Factor E (poisoning). Therefore, we are initiating a status review to determine whether listing the black-tailed prairie dog under the act is warranted."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first step in the 90 day process.

Jim