Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Thoughts about Rossi combo single shot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 11:52 PM

Thoughts about Rossi combo single shot?

I came across a deal I don't think I can pass up on. A Rossi single shot with .223 22" barrel and a 20 gauge barrel for $150 .223 barrel has 10 rounds down the tube and 20 gauge hasn't even been removed from the box. I plan to keep this rifle in the truck for coyote or fox and the occasional woodchuck. I have a Nikon 3-9x40 sitting around that needs a home was thinking this would be a good place for it. The guy needs the money does anyone have any thoughts about this gun good or bad? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Thoughts about Rossi combo single shot?

Had a Rossi 22-250 single shot, what a POS is was. I tried proven hand loads and factory loads , 38.0 of H-380 under 50 and 55 grain sierras, no joy. The gun would not group, sent it back they told me it was dirty,, NOT. Clean or dirty it would not group, even with a replacement barrel from the factory. It was so bad it would not group well enough to regularly hit a yote at 100 yds standing broadside.

My savage 12 fv will put 3 touching.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:05 PM

I picked it up last weekend not a very good shooter I agree with you on it being a pos. I'm getting 1 1/4 in 3 shot groups with Winchester ballistic tips factory loads but everything else I've thrown through it just plain does not shoot well at all, and after 3 shots the barrel gets so hot you can barely touch it. I wont buy another rossi single shot. At least it has a 20 gauge barrel that will make a good small game shotgun for my daughter to learn with in a few years.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, I'm not a big Rossi fan either, for the $150 it may be good enough for some use.