Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Thinkin about an new .223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Silver Member

Re: Thinkin about an new .223

Have both a Ruger and Tikka in 223, both shoot very good. The Tikka hands down has my vote
great tigger, very smooth action, shoot a sub group with most any bullet from 52-75gr.
Easy to set the trigger placed at 2 lbs sweet
The Tikka has my vote and would buy it again......
Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

One thing to keep in mind with a 223 is that military 5.56 and 223 are 2 different cartridges.

There are some interesting and enlightening video's on You-Tube concerning 223's, especially the Mini14 Target and it's long range capabilities.

The Mini14 Target in the video on You Tube hasn't been accurized other than tuning the harmonic balancer to the load.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Gold Member

That Mini 14 Target looks real interesting. I checked out that video and read some other reviews and there seems to be quite a disparity in accuracy performance. Anyone have or shoot one?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 AM
Silver Member

I bought a Tikka 223 and it was a nice rifle but I could not get good groups with the 55gr V-max I wanted to shoot for ground hogs due to the 1-8 twist. So I sold it and got a Weatherby Mark 5 Super Preadator Master with the 1-12 twist and it is very accurate. Depending on what you want to shoot just be aware of the different twist rates. Tikka lists a 223 with a 1-12 twist on their web site but they don't import it into the US.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 338 View Post
That Mini 14 Target looks real interesting. I checked out that video and read some other reviews and there seems to be quite a disparity in accuracy performance. Anyone have or shoot one?
The accuracy disparity comes from the harmonic balancer and its settings which has to be 'tuned' much like load development to attain the correct barrel harmonics in relationship to bullet flight path.

I actually have reference marks on my barrel where the balancer needs to be set for different loads.

The Mini has always been a gun of average accuracy. The Target attains the accuracy through a different barrel and the balancer.

One thing that is important to me is the Mini is made here (Prescott Arizona), the Tikka is made? Not here.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
The accuracy disparity comes from the harmonic balancer and its settings which has to be 'tuned' much like load development to attain the correct barrel harmonics in relationship to bullet flight path.

I actually have reference marks on my barrel where the balancer needs to be set for different loads.

The Mini has always been a gun of average accuracy. The Target attains the accuracy through a different barrel and the balancer.

One thing that is important to me is the Mini is made here (Prescott Arizona), the Tikka is made? Not here.
Tikka & Sako are made i Finnland.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

I knew that actually (about Sako and Tikka).... Interestingly, Rugers are manufactured in their new plant in Prescott but the receiver investment castings are cast in their foundry in New England. Strum Ruger is a leader in the investment casting industry btw.

I just favor made in America by American workers when possible, clunky triggers not withstanding (but fixable). I understand Ruger's new series actually has a clean breaking adjustable trigger group, I'll have to try one.

Guess thats why Savage, Henry, Colt, Smith & Wesson, Wilson Combat and Kimber all occupy space in my gun collection.