Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Skunk down!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 06:48 PM

Skunk down!

Hi All,

Here's an important safety tip for when you're shooting skunks - remember to stay downwind after you shoot them!

Striped Skunk - bad day at the office.

That's one pair of boots that won't be seeing any more use for a few months.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Skunk down!

My buddy has/had a bad skunk problem in his barn. We have trapped and shot over 20 in the last year. First one he seen in his barn and decided it would be a good idea to shoot it with his .270 from about 5 yards away...didn't work out so well for him.

He has since been sprayed about 4 times and once by one that was lying dead for about 5 minutes before it let loose,he thought the head shot stopped it from spraying then when he went in for a closer look after no smell it got him.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:21 AM

Re: Skunk down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane G. View Post
My buddy has/had a bad skunk problem in his barn. We have trapped and shot over 20 in the last year. First one he seen in his barn and decided it would be a good idea to shoot it with his .270 from about 5 yards away...didn't work out so well for him.

He has since been sprayed about 4 times and once by one that was lying dead for about 5 minutes before it let loose,he thought the head shot stopped it from spraying then when he went in for a closer look after no smell it got him.
Being sprayed by a dead skunk? Now there's a blast from the past! That's hilarious - not for your buddy I'm sure, but pretty entertaining to think about the look of surprise that was probably on his face when he got hosed down by a dead skunk. Too funny.