Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Sierra MatchKing Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 03:16 PM

Re: Sierra MatchKing Bullets

Thanks for the information guys. I have a few loaded up. I'll just see what kind of accuracy I will get with them and not use the for hunting. Im going to try to get the 50gr Noslers to work if I can. When I put a new stock on my other .22-250 the Noslers became accurate so hopefully it will do the same with the 250 Im working on now. Dropped it in a Bobby Hart LRT stock so it should support the action a lot more than its original plain wood stock. Thanks again to all who gave me some info. Nick
Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Silver Member

I've had great accuracy out of the 52 gr SMKs but for varmints I use the 50gr Vmax and the older speer 52gr hollowpoints. Both had very close to the same accuracy as the SMKs
Old 03-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Silver Member

I agree on not shooting towards cattle , but Richochets can an do come back and off to the sides at weird angles sometimes many hundreds of Yards . I've shot Ranches in Montana . Wyoming , and South Dakota , and have yet to shoot where I did'nt see some Cattle during the day, but they usually ( not always ) move off beyond eyesight once the shooting starts . I've even had Ballistic Tips break up into two pieces and land many Yards apart at long range . Not many , but maybe 2 out of 500 shots . My Spotter said he had never seen that before . You have to have eyes in the back of your head on some of these Ranches even when the Owner knows you are shooting there . I was once shooting a fence line at about 450 yards , and up comes a cowhand riding directly from left to right just beyond the fence . Good thing I spotted him hundreds of Yards off to my left .....and I know the guy could hear me shooting all afternoon . I just grabbed a cold water bottle and sat back until he disappeared way off to my right . I also remember driving a long way to a dogtown in SD . It was a huge , deep Bowl maybe 2000 Yards across with lots of guys all around the Perimeter shooting towards the center . When i saw this , I just left in a hurry ! I wish I could find a Ranch where all I could see all day long was Prarie Dogs . If you have such a place , please PM me ...... I might even bring some refreshments for you !

Last edited by tulku; 03-02-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Silver Member

Duckslayer 12, you can't go wrong with Sierra Blitz Kings ! They are super accurate and explode on contact ! Groundhogs and PDs are toast. I guess the folks are Sierra didn't want confusion and a longer name is why they didn't call it the Blitz Match Kings. It also has a higher BC than the Match Kings. I shoot them in 20 cal. and 224; 39gr. 20s in a 20 TAC(driver) and 55s in my 223A.I. and both shoot in the threes and sometimes smaller groups. It's the red mist on Pds and I've torn up several groundhogs with them. You can't go wrong with the Blitz Kings.