Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Semi-auto prairie dog gun quest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Semi-auto prairie dog gun quest

I have the 24" Bull Barrel DPMS in 223. It is a genuine .25-.5 MOA consistant performer. I think the bull barrel configuration supports the ability for this rifle to shoot 200 minimum rounds in a session without a loss in accuracy. Also, never had a jam or failure to feed. I have thie DPMS upper mounted on a Bushmaster lower with a RRA Match trigger with a j&P spring kit at 3.5#. I have the 1:9 twist version.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

I have a bushmaster varminter I believe. I 've had it for around 8 years it has a ss bbl. that is not fluted or coated. I shot 60gr. v-max's in it. 100 yds is .5-.75 moa and I have confirmed kills out to 900+ yards with it. It is a blast to shoot.

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER
Old 11-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Gold Member

Bushmaster, DPMS and Remington are all owned by the same company now and they're all good. Plenty of other good companies out there too. If you want something semi custom look at Doublestar.
You might want to buy 2 of them if you're going after prairie rats. Let one cool while you shoot the other. When the barrel gets to hot to hold, switch guns. I've burnt up a barrel in one day shooting 1200 rounds without switching guns. It went from a .25" gun to a 1" gun. Go with a 26" fluted, ported barrel.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

If it were my money to spend, I would build from scratch, If that isn't a realistic option for you, I would suggest the Rock River Arms A4 Varmint. If you want to save some weight, the Rock river arms Predator Pursuit is the same upper with a national match profile barrel. both come in lengths from 16 to 24 inches. My current set up is a 20 inch upper that is EXTREMELY accurate. Most AR15's from the major vendors will hold half moa accuracy in a varmint configuration.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Old 11-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

I also have the 20" RRA Predator Pursuit upper. I built my lower with a JP rifles trigger, and lots of Magpul goodies. With 69 gr matckings, I can shoot 1/2" groups for longer range. I also have a load for 53 gr matchkings that is close to clover leaf, at least when I do my part.

The great thing about AR's and Pdoggin is that once you get setup on a mound, you can just keep shooting without having to change your position to operate a bolt, or look around for rounds.

I would look at some medium weight barrels, as I found the heavy 24" barrels made the rifle too "front heavy".
Old 11-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=visigoth;572587

I would look at some medium weight barrels, as I found the heavy 24" barrels made the rifle too "front heavy".[/QUOTE]

Probably the best kept secrets in well balanced AR-15's is the Reminton R-15 Varmint with the triangular 24" ss barrel. I picked one up a couple of years ago a and found it to be a great compromise for either carry for coyotes or fixed position varmint shooting. Its not too front heavy for off hand shots. It's very accurate with 55gr V-max, or Remington Accutips with .25-.5 MOA out to 500 yards, and has the attributes of a heavy barrel rig. It's my go hunting AR.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 PM

The bushmaster varminter is great for pd dogs and as a carry rifle
If it will be a bench gun then buy the longest heaviest rock river

If you want one and done buy a 204 upper from someone like dtech and build your lower from scratch. The trigger is super important. I have tried rock river two stage, bushmaster 2 stage, milspec with jp yellows, and Geiselle super dynamic enhanced. Well you get what you pay for and the Geiselle is by far the best.