Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

savage btc ss thumbhole?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Bronze Member

savage btc ss thumbhole?

Hi to all

Can anyone tell me does the savage btc ss thumbhole have a free floating barrel?

Thanks
sniperboy
Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: savage btc ss thumbhole?

If you go to savagearms.com you will get your answer. I own two Savages, one is the Mod 12 Low Pro varmint and the other is a Mark II FV in 22lr. Both are very free floating. I've not tried it, but I'm willing to bet I can get a credit card to the barrel nut. They are very open. Both shoot sub MOA if I do my part and have a good load for my heavy rifle. My 22lr shoots PMC very well.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:12 AM
Bronze Member

Hi jknepp

I went on the site but it does not mention anything about free floating barrel on the thumb hole model 12. I ve already perchased the rifle and waiting for my permit forms to arrive then i ll check it.

Thanks
sniperboy
Old 01-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

I am willing to say that it is a free floater. Every new savage I have seen floats the barrel.

jknepp
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Gold Member

Every single Savage that me, my brother, and my dad own is free-floating, so that's where I'd put my money. As a matter of fact, you could almost say they are extremely free-floated.

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Bronze Member

Yes, the btcss is floated all the way to the barrel nut. What caliber did you get? I hope you have it and are shooting it already. If it is anything near mine you will be pleasantly surprised by the accuracy. Mine is in 204 and shoots incredible groups, though dislikes 40gr bullets. Good luck!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
If you go to savagearms.com you will get your answer. I own two Savages, one is the Mod 12 Low Pro varmint and the other is a Mark II FV in 22lr. Both are very free floating. I've not tried it, but I'm willing to bet I can get a credit card to the barrel nut. They are very open. Both shoot sub MOA if I do my part and have a good load for my heavy rifle. My 22lr shoots PMC very well.
what caliber is your low pro thinking of getting one