Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Savage 25 Walking Varminter help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Gold Member

Re: Savage 25 Walking Varminter help

It's the 24" barrel.

As for the small base dies - Brass sized with them should work in a bolt gun just fine. I believe small base dies actually size the brass to minimum SAAMI or something so they will cycle better in an AR. They also work the brass more by doing this. You might be able to adjust a small base die though so that it only bumps the shoulder back the way most folks setup FL dies for brass that will be fired in the same chamber.

I have shot and resized 5.56 Lake City brass in my MVP just fine with regular Hornady FL dies.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Silver Member

Being able to use my .223 and 5.56 ammo in the same rifle, like the AR, is a major plus for the MVP at east for me. What would mean I wouldn't have to necessarily keep the separated. I "think" after resizing the once fired military brass with the small base die will solve the problem. My rounds chamber fine but if I try to clear the chamber it tough as the devil to get the round out. The base of the brass is about .003 oversize from factory measurements. I think I will only have to use the small base die once on the new to me brass. Maybe they meant it isn't necessary to use a small base die in the bolt gun. Idono

Since you own one of the MVP's how do you think it would do as a varmint rifle out to say 400 yards for prairie dogs?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:42 PM
Gold Member

Well... I don't think it could run with a Savage MODEL 12 varmint rifle, but I think you could have sucess with it at 400 yards. I got a couple of .3 MOA groups at 300 yards last time out with it. Think the thing holding it back the most is the trigger.

Plan on shooting a 300 RUM at 600 yards next Tuesday. Time permitting, I'll pull out the MVP and see what it does at 600. It is doing 2900 FPS with the 69 Matchkings so I sould only need about 10 MOA of elevation and believe I can dial that.

Most people who like the MVP like it cause they have LOTS of 5.56 ammo and clips.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:40 PM
Silver Member

Yep that's why it's interesting to me. I have over 1000 rounds of 5.56 which I won't run in a .223. I am still considering a Savage Trophy Hunter though. Haven't put one in my hands yet but looking to find one.. I did see the Savage Hog Hunter in .223 though. I really liked it. Medium barrel, threaded and of course the Acu trigger. The two things that are holding me back is the chambering in both and the enclosed mag in the hog hunter. Don't really mind the enclosed mag as long as it had a drop plate but I guess you have to run the bolt to get the rounds out. I have one in another rifle but the drop plate makes it a non issue for me.

Let me know how you make out with the mvp at 600. I can't see that far but it would be nice to find out. I did see a review on youtube where a guy was shooting at 500yards. Once he found the hold over it did pretty darn good. I think he had the varmint model.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:41 AM

FWIW, I have shot the Savage 25 223 many times. I don't own one but a friend does. It groups like any other savage out there and by that I mean many rounds through one little hole. He bought it for his daughter and she does really well with it. I think to date she has taken an antelope at 200+ and a few deer at various ranges.

The only thing I don't like about the 25 and the reason I will probably never own one is the action itself. It feels to much like a rimfire to me. I guess I like my centerfire rifles to feel like centerfire rifles. But if your looking for a rifle that will shoot POA all day every day, you could do a lot worse than a model 25.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington