Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Savage 25 Walking Varminter help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

Savage 25 Walking Varminter help

On my quest for a new .223 varmint rifle I have made a bunch of stops. The latest one is the Savage Walking Varminter in .223. I finally decided on a .223 good bad or indifferent. For me I think it is the way to go. Anyway I am interested in a PD rifle but mostly a groundhog rifle.

I was wondering about the Savage 25 action. I am not a Savage expert so I don't know one action from the other good bad or indifferent.

If you have one what are your thoughts? Most of my PD shots were under 300 yards but I would like to be about to stretch that out a bit. Will this rifle do it? I realize I am the weak link but when I miss I would like to know it was in fact me.LOL Any infer would be great on this rifle.

thanks for the help
Old 02-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Savage 25 Walking Varminter help

I have owned two Savage 25s; I'd look elsewhere. There are plenty of other rifles in .223 out there for about the same money that are arguably better, e.g.: CZ 527, Howa, Remington 700s, other Savage models; a TC Venture or one of those Varmint ADLs @ Dick's would be more gun at the same or maybe lower price. Or maybe pay a little more for a Tikka.
Just can't recommend this Savage model with a clear conscience.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

Thanks

I was also thinking about the 11/111 trophy hunter xp. It isn't much heavier. My concern is being able to shoot multiple rounds without the barrel moving off zero.

Thought about the hog hunter in .223 also. Same action heavier barrel. Mossberg's mvp in .223-5.56 would be great if it will shoot straight. Don't know one way or the other on that one.

What I am running into is a lot of the manufacturers are producing their .223's in a 1:12 twist. Seems to me that is a little slow for heavier bullets. I check the Howa and the T/C. I like them both and the T/C is selling for a heck of a deal till the end of the month but they are 1:12 twist. If I could stabilize a 69 grain bullet with this twist I would consider it. Not saying that I want to go that heavy but I don't want to be stuck with 40grain bullets.

I think I would go for the T/C if it would stabilize heavier bullets and the thin barrel wouldn't change poa when it got warm.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Bronze Member

Might check the Ruger American for barrel twist; could be faster than some.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

Thanks I think they are running 1:10.

Do you have any exp with or know about the Savage Trophy Hunter xp? Of course I am looking for it in .223. Also what is your exp with the barrels heating up over extended shooting periods like PD hunting? I know I can let it cool and will but was wondering if they heat quickly? Wondering if the standard or medium barrel would work best?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbs View Post
Mossberg's mvp in .223-5.56 would be great if it will shoot straight. Don't know one way or the other on that one.
I own on of these are was pleasantly surprised at how well it shoots. Seems like it was a 1 MOA gun at 100 yards with most factory stuff, except for Federal Gold Medal 69 Matchkings, these were easily 1/2 MOA and good at distance too. So I started reloading for it and use 69 Matchkings over Varget and the gun can shoot 1" groups at 300 yards.

Seems Mossberg copied most of the Savage ideas for the rifle. It has a floating bolt head, trigger is a lot like a "Accutrigger", has a bedding block (plastic but it seems to work), and even uses a barrel nut.

Some issues:
Trigger is very crisp but heavy. It's a light gun and a lighter trigger would help. It goes down to about 2.5 lbs. but a 1.5 lb trigger would be better. There is an aftermarket trigger for it that is supposed to be good. It's about $70.

Has a shorter pull length. Made for juniors I guess. I just added a Limbsaver on the butt and it now perfect for me.

There is a lack of aftermarket parts for it... You could probably change the barrel yourself just like a Savage but I have heard the the barrel threads are different. So no prefits unless you ordered it special for the Mossberg.

Barrel is pretty good in the heat department though. It seems to be a medium weight varmint barrel. Ang I am guessing button rifled.

Nice rifle for the price. Probably better than the Savage 25 for sure.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Barrelnut

I have been seeing pretty good reviews on the MVP. I know some of the reports may be a little one sided but from the info I can get they seem to be shooters. What length barrel is on your rifle?

I'm trying to find one to take a look at.

I am the OP....

Not sure maybe I should start another thread but I have another question. I have an AR that requires a small base die to allow the 5.56 once fired brass to cycle. Since the advantages of the MVP is it's 5.56 compatibility, ammo and AR mags, how will this brass that has been resized with a small base die work in a bolt rifle? I have read you don't want to use brass that has been run through the small base die in a bolt rifle. Is this true and if so why not?

thanks