Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

ruger mini 14 target model

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Gold Member

ruger mini 14 target model

I was thinking of purchasing a ruger mini 14 target model. does anyone have any reports on accuracy or anything?
Old 09-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: ruger mini 14 target model

I'm not familiar w/ the target modle, but a few of my friends have 14's and the accuracy out of them was generally nothing to write home about if you want to shoot a few hundred yards. Just mho.

OK, I known what rifle you are talking about now;) I'd reccomend not getting it if you are serious about making long shots. In my sometimes not so humble opinion (;)) this is putting iceing on a burned cake. The rifle looks really cool but it's just not a accurate action to start from.

Last edited by britz; 09-17-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

my son just bought one and i did some pretty extensive testing with it . shot several different brands of factory ammo and bullet weights, and was somewhat happy with a couple brands. 1" groups with factory ammo was about all i could do. havent tested any handloads yet but i think i can dial that down a bit. the gun is heavy.....the barrel weight on the end gives it a pretty balanced feel though. itried every position imaginable with the muzzle weight to tighten the groups but it did not seem to matter where it was , the groups were all about the same. it definitely did change the point of impact though. i ve killed one coyote with this rifle.....i handles and functions well when out and about. AJ
Old 09-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Gold Member

Thanks. What are the advantages of an AR-15 style rifle over the mini-14? I've heard some feeding problems with certain ammo in the AR.

By the way, I would be handloading.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunthard View Post
Thanks. What are the advantages of an AR-15 style rifle over the mini-14? I've heard some feeding problems with certain ammo in the AR.

By the way, I would be handloading.
The AR-15 is like the LEGO gun; you can attach all kinds of things to it. The design is way more inherently accurate, and the ergonomics are superior. Plus, if you decide you want to change calibers, you just put another upper on your frame and go shooting.

The Mini-14 has a well-deserved reputation for being inaccurate. Reliability was never an issue, but Ruger seemed to cater this rifle to the people who go by the "If you can't shoot well, shoot a lot!" philosophy. I don't know about this latest incarnation, but I've never encountered a Mini-14 that would shoot under 3 inches at 100 yards. There is some outfit that reworks them into some semblance of an accurate rifle but for the money you could buy an AR-15 that works out of the box and go shooting.

Obviously I'm biased, but the bias was born of experience.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:08 AM

iv'e got a friend that had a company rework his mini.
if it was any more accurate than it was when it left, it wasn't much more, maybe just his luck.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Silver Member

I have shot the "reworked" rifle that was done by some outfit in colorado i think. it has a heavy barrel and light trigger. cost about 400 to do that. It is probably a 2 inch at 100yards gun now. lots of AR will do better if you have to have a semi. I would definately look at a decent AR for $800-$1000 range. Friends dont let friends by ruger mini's!

I am the way I am because I watched the movies "Red Dawn" and "Tremors" at a impressionable age.