Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

RUGER AMERICAN (varminter soon?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

RUGER AMERICAN (varminter soon?)

Ruger's new American rifle has everything needed to hang a varmint weight barrel on it for an "entry level" varmint rifle.

1. very good, adjustable trigger (skilled honing can make it excellent)
2. great, innovative bedding blocks/pillars
3. nice 3 lug bolt for a fast 70 degree lift
4. hammer forged barrels that are accurate
5. quick change 4 round rotary magazines

Plus Ruger has it out now in .223 and 22-250, both good varmint cartridges.
I got the 22-250 for the longer range and flatter trajectory. When I shoot the factory barrel out I'll get a 22" stainless barrel with 5 R rifling and cryogenic treatment.

BUT... will we see it soon?

I hope so because it's a rifle that could put that barrel to good use.

Oh, yeah, and a high, rollover cheekpiece would be nice too. Why not give us a black & gray laminated stock as an option? I'd buy it now.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:51 AM

Re: RUGER AMERICAN (varminter soon?)

Ditto!
And in a 6.5cm
Old 02-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

Yeah that is about the only thing holding me back is getting it in a varmint. I wonder if it is in the works?
Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

Oh YEAH! A Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor would be fantastic for an all-around cartridge that is not a barrel burner like the 22-250. 6.5 BCs are amazing in the heavier weights. Plus they don't kick like mad.

I contend that the 6.5 mm family of cartridges is superb, including the ancient 6.5 Swede. Too bad most Americans are .30 cal crazy.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

I looked at and almost bought one the other day but I don't like the stock or the way it shoulders. I can't see buying a lower end rifle and having to change the stock out right away.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:29 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I looked at and almost bought one the other day but I don't like the stock or the way it shoulders. I can't see buying a lower end rifle and having to change the stock out right away.
A lot of people tend to evaluate a given rifle solely on the basis of one or two factors. Accuracy is usually one of those factors. If that is all that matters, some of the budget rifles now being produced are screaming bargains.

If other qualities such as handling, balance, and beauty are important to you, I would consider that to be a strong signal that you ought not be looking for a budget rifle. No way would I consider a budget rifle if my plan involved swapping parts. Where the Ruger American is concerned, the design of the stock is such that swapping it out would not be a good idea.

For what it is, the Ruger American is a good choice. If you want a more complete package, step up to the flagship action of your brand of choice. Such rifles are more expensive for a reason: You are getting more for your money.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Gold Member

I have always been very skeptical of the low end offerings with this new innovation and that gimmick and of course the "Tupperware" stocks. Well behold my son buys a Ruger American in 7mm-08 for the 8 year old grandson. With 40 rounds of Hornady factory ammo through it we loaded some Berger 140 gr bullets and to my amazement this sub $300 rifle shoots a consistent 1/2 MOA. I am impressed. BUT STILL SKEPTICAL