Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Rimfire advice. .17 choices/22 choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 09:19 AM

Re: Rimfire advice. .17 choices/22 choices

This is how my Savage BTV 17 HMR shoots the Hornady ammo at 100 yards. The first shot landed a little high but the next 4 wadded into one ragged hole. This is the most fun gun I have had in a long time. I have only killed gophers with it so far but have no doubt that coons or rock chucks would be in serious peril if this hit them. My only complaint about the Savage was the trigger. Mine has an accutrigger but still required some "tuning" to make it nice. Great little guns for the money.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Gold Member

The first 17hmr I had was a Savage 93r17 FV. It started at 1.5" @100 at best with any ammo I could get my hands on. After a ton of research I got it tuned up, and my groups dropped to .75"@100 (but only with Hornady). The action screws like to be torqued down very lightly. It seemed too light to me, but I was told to start at 12ft#, and work up 1/2 at a time, mine liked 13.5ft#. Opening the barrel channel way up and bedding the action and about the first 2" of barrel made a big difference as well. I trimmed about 3/4 of a round of the trigger spring off too, brought the pull down to just over a pound (but still pretty creepy no matter what I did). It was a great little gun... Liked it so much that I sold it, bought a CZ with JP trigger kit, and now get better groups with any ammo.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threejones View Post
The first 17hmr I had was a Savage 93r17 FV. It started at 1.5" @100 at best with any ammo I could get my hands on. After a ton of research I got it tuned up, and my groups dropped to .75"@100 (but only with Hornady). The action screws like to be torqued down very lightly. It seemed too light to me, but I was told to start at 12ft#, and work up 1/2 at a time, mine liked 13.5ft#. Opening the barrel channel way up and bedding the action and about the first 2" of barrel made a big difference as well. I trimmed about 3/4 of a round of the trigger spring off too, brought the pull down to just over a pound (but still pretty creepy no matter what I did). It was a great little gun... Liked it so much that I sold it, bought a CZ with JP trigger kit, and now get better groups with any ammo.

My Savage liked the action screws to be a quarter turn past snug. I do not have a torque wrench yet. The Savage accutrigger mods were simple for me after researching it on line.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Silver Member

I'm hoping to do three accutrigger jobs this week
Old 04-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Silver Member

This is odd. I've had two Savage rimfires, and both liked to have the crap tightened outta the action screws. My 93R17 TRR-SR can shoot 1/8" groups at 50 yards with a clean bore and snug screws.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 PM
Bronze Member

For my next rimfire, I'm holding out for the new Winchester .17 Super Mag. In a rifle made some company other than Savage.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threejones View Post
...The action screws like to be torqued down very lightly. It seemed too light to me, but I was told to start at 12ft#, and work up 1/2 at a time, mine liked 13.5ft#. ....

Are you sure it was Ft/Lbs?! That is 4x higher than I torque the action screws on high end custom rifles... I would forsee stripped screws & broken stocks at that rate.... At 40in/lbs (with 1/4 in screws) you are looking at over 1200lbs of clamping force. Now equate that with 13.5ft/lbs (or 162in/lbs!!)..... 4800(ish) lbs of clamping force.... Something is gonna break

OP, the competition level rimfire guys I've spoken with (.22s anyway) have always told me that .22's require a good bit of fouling before they start to tighten up accuracy wise. I don't remember how it works but it's been quite consistent for them & may be worth testing in your situation.

t