Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

which rifle? Savage OR Remington.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: which rifle? Savage OR Remington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Check this out. Savage Arms 12 Series Varmint Model 12FV It's not camoflauged, but it is a 26" bbl. It will shoot out of the box with good ammo. My cousin shoots one in 308 and I have a Savage 12 Low Pro. Both very accurate rifles w/ factory barrels. IMO

Tank
I have the stainless version in 300win. Well, I did. Sold the barrel and put a 26" Hart chambered in 300wsm. Great gun. Super accurate.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member

I had my Mod 12 rechambered to 300WSM. I have finally found a load for 208grn A-Max. It shooting under a 1/2MOA at a 100yrds with factory barrel. I had a muzzle break put on it. It is my field gun. I really like the 300WSM. My next project is going to go be a 243, 243AI or 260, 260AI or a 338 Win Mag AI. I can dies from RCBS for that on. Maybe go the expense of custom redding dies.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Bronze Member

I have several Remy 700s and love them all. They are great shooters. My last was a 700 SPS Stainless in 243. I bought a couple boxes of Win/SuperX 100 gr factory shells to get cases for reloading, as BPS did not have new unprimed cases.
First group of three shots, with an out of the box Remy and factory cartridges - 5/8". My handloads top that. All of my 700s including a 338 will print under an inch., at 100 yards.
Duane
Old 03-19-2009, 08:07 AM
Gold Member

Although each will have a different opinion, I would recommend Savage. I have both, and I like both. If it was before Remington made the X-Mark Pro trigger, I might have recommended Remington. The X-Mark Pro on my VTR only goes down to 5 lbs., any lower than that and the safety will make it slam-fire. The Savage AccuTrigger is the best factory trigger on the market. So unless you are going to replace the trigger... Both of these companies use injection molded stocks on these two rifles. The only difference is that the Savage is free-floated, which is a big plus. I tried free-floating the stock on my VTR (same stock as on the SPS) and it was internally warped, so the whole left side of the stock was contacting the barrel. So again, unless you are going to replace the stock... LOL.

I all seriousness, go with the Savage. I love my Remingtons, and will continue to do so, but as of right now, I don't think I'd buy another Remmy unless I was prepared to upgrade it or build on it. Their QC has started to take a nose dive too.

I recently bought a Remington VTR, and I love the rifle. But I had to replace the stock (McMillan lol), and the trigger replacement is pending for a Rifle Basix. Other than that, I love it. Here's a link to the review of my Rem VTR: Remington model 700 VTR.

Here is a review for my Savage 12LRPV also: Savage model 12 long range precision

Good luck, let us know how you decide.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

Hey bow,

This is what you wrote, " The 178 gr. A-MAXs were loaded to a COL of 2.882 and a jump of 0.076" to the rifling."

Is that a comparetor length or OAL. That seems awfully long for a .308 with the comparetor. Just curious?

Thanks,
Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Bronze Member

remington no question about it
Old 03-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Hey bow,

This is what you wrote, " The 178 gr. A-MAXs were loaded to a COL of 2.882 and a jump of 0.076" to the rifling."

Is that a comparetor length or OAL. That seems awfully long for a .308 with the comparetor. Just curious?

Thanks,
Tank
COL is overall length without the bullet comparator. I may have slipped up, but I usually list the bullet comparator measurement as BC COL.

How's your 250 shootin'?

Enjoy.