Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Rangefinder perferences

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 10:50 PM

Rangefinder perferences

My 15 yr old son and I experienced our first P-Dog last year and are hooked. For our trip last year I borowed a laser range finder from a friend. However, now that we will be making this an annual father/son event I thougt I should buy my own rangefinder.

What brand and model to you use. What are the pros and cons about it.

Thanks for your insights!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rangefinder perferences

There is so much info on here about RF's if you start to read it all you probably will miss your trip

To accuratly answer your question you need to supply more info.

Budget?

How far do you intend shoot?

If there is no limit on spending Buy a Vectronix PLRF10 and never look back. They have come down a bit in price and are now going for $3725.00

Jeff
Old 03-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Banned

Have used a Leica 900 for most of my hunting. Used this with a ballistic program
and shot it to confirm information on come-ups....
Old 03-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
There is so much info on here about RF's if you start to read it all you probably will miss your trip

To accuratly answer your question you need to supply more info.

Budget?

How far do you intend shoot?

If there is no limit on spending Buy a Vectronix PLRF10 and never look back. They have come down a bit in price and are now going for $3725.00

Jeff
Yep, what he said....Vectronix is the best of the best. I've been using their products for about five years now. I have a PLRF10 for backup in case my Vector 21 stops working. They are very accurate, fast, powerful and have super high grade optics....
Old 03-17-2011, 04:35 AM
Platinum Member

If you don't want to spend the $3700 for the BigV, the Leica 1200 and 1600 are a more affordable option. They won't range as far, so the real question is how far do you want/or are able to shoot on a PD?

I can get PD mounds out to about 800-850 with the Leica 1600 on bright sunny days. The Leica 1200 falls short of that by 100 to 200 yds, depending on the particular mound being ranged. The swarovski unit will probably beat the Leica's on big targets, but I kinda doubt that they would on small things. They've got a bigger beam, so the reading could very easily be coming from another mound in the distance, or one closer than you are trying to get.

The guys I've seen in the past that were shooting 1000-1500 yds had staked out distances ahead of time, because back in those days we didn't have rangefinders that would go very far at all.

Last edited by SBruce; 03-17-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Silver Member

My Leica 1200 would Range Pdog mounds out to about 900 Yards ( I've seen reports from 800 to 1100 Yards ) . There is some variability in all LRFs because the internal ranging components vary a little ....especially the Laser Diodes . If funds are tight , look for a used 1200 , they show up regularly . Just keep your eyes open and search . If you want more Range go with a Swarovski , that will take you out to 1600 yards Plus ! Be advised ....test the LRF ( especially for repeatability ) as soon as you get it . I've had quite a few duds before getting a good one . I would not expect to get that kind of Quality Control at these Cost Points , but I did . Another factor to consider is the Ranging Reticle ..... some do not like the Color ( if you have Color Blindness ) , and some don't care for the size and shape of the Reticle . Lastly , consider Ergonomics .....how it feels in your hand and how it triggers .
Old 03-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

I just stepped outside and shot some barren ground at 1140-1150 yds (bare because the PD's ate all the grass!). Too far away to see individual mounds in the 7X or 8X rangefinder though.

Only point I am getting at is that sunlight seems to have a dramatic effect on the ranging ability. Last time I was out and getting only 800 readings, it was bright and sunny. Today it's cloudy and I am able to range much further.