Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

prairie dog hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 07:58 PM

prairie dog hunting

looking to go on my first prairie dog hunt and was wondering which state has the best hunting. Never done this before so any help/tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Bronze Member

Re: prairie dog hunting

Where are you looking to go,what area or state?
Old 07-07-2014, 04:33 PM

I have heard about Wyoming, South Dakota, and Kansas having good hunting; but, being in the south, I'm not sure which state has the best. I would like to have the best opportunity possible due to the investment of time and resources. I have heard that spring is the best time; is this correct. I have also heard that population is down in the grasslands of Kansas, which would be my brother-in-law's first choice of states to hunt due to proximity.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Bronze Member

I have been going to the Oklahoma panhandle and around Clayton New Mexico for over 30 years.The number of dogs varies from year to year depending on the weather and habitat conditions.Was slow the last few years but from what I was told they have a good number this year. I will know more next week, we are going there the 13th of July for a week. I'll let you know when we get back and give you some contact numbers.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:55 PM

Thanks. I would definitely appreciate that. Best of luck, and will be looking to hear about it.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

Spring time is great. Lots of young ones. After the rain the grass gets too tall to see them clearly. In the fall when the grass dries and the dogs get it cut down, the shooting picks back up.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Gold Member

Try the SW area of South Dakota or NW Nebraska. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation has more prairie dogs than any place on earth if you can't find any on public land. Contact the National Grasslands Offices, they are usually very helpfull.
The pups usually come up out of the dens about the first of June or so. That would be the best time to go if the hunting pressure isn't too high. Since they started opening public land year round instead of opening it the middle of June, it can get shot up early. Then the pups starve to death.
Good luck.