Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Pd's in North Idaho?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Gold Member

Pd\'s in North Idaho?

Hey guys I'm just getting into varmit hunting and am curious if anybod know's of any areas to hunt pd's or rock chuck in or around n. idaho.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pd\'s in North Idaho?

I don't beleive there are any pd's this far west ,probably some belding ground squirrels though.

As far as chucks they're few and far between as i've been told and now believe it.If you know of an agricultural area growing alfalfa that's the place to start especially if there is lava flows/rocky terrain around it.
Throw your rifle/rangefinder/binos over your shoulder and head out ! The worst that can happen is you spend a great day w/a fine rifle outdoors.
Best to ya-Mike
Old 06-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Gold Member

Ya know there's a crap ton of rock chuck's behind my apartment but there's a park next to it. Damn!
Old 06-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Silver Member

I am a N. Idaho native and have lived here the majority of my life. Reality is that N. Idaho has extremely poor quality varmit hunting.

For 5 years I've lived east of the Cont. divide in Montana and you cannot believe the varmits and deer that reside in Montana and Wyoming on the East side of the cont. divide. A varmit shooters paradise.

Gophers, PD's, cottontail, jackrabbit, Deer antelope and chucks and marmots up high in the Beartoothes.

We simply don't have the diversity of species, and open land like the central rocky mountain states, here in N. Idaho. Just a lot of up and down and tons of timber and brush.

Different habitats. Besides, all the land around the C'dA area is all developed up into condos, housing and nothing is like it was when I was a kid. Too many people.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Gold Member

Your tellin me. This place is turnin into Aspen Colorado or Jackson Hole.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Silver Member

Links,

Are you puttin me on?

Kootnai county in N. Idaho consistantly is in the top five counties in the country for growth rate per capita. Can't you remember when most all the roads were gravel and C'dA was just over 10,000 people?

Good grief, just look at all the development on the lake and Seltice Way. Condos are for sale everywhere and what was once fields and woods has been gobbled up by sprawl.

You'd have to be a native and grow up here to understand the phenominal growth and changes in the last 25 years.

I don't know about Aspen or Jackson much, but something is happening. There has been a huge wave of people from California who have move to N. Idaho and Western Montana. The change is night and day to someone who is native and has watched sprawl pop up and have traffic problems in an area which 25 or 30 years ago had mostly gravel county roads.

Places I used to hunt are now housing and condo development. It happening all over, but N. Idaho, Boise area, Western Montana, and portions of Wyoming are really being built up fast and prices are quite high.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Gold Member

Short: I'm also a native of N. Idaho and live right by the new sickening condos off of spokane street. Have you seen the ones on chase rd? They're like apartments only they cost $200,00.00 . The way this place is changing makes me sick to my stomach. Bout time for me to move over to south eastern idaho.