Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

pd at 3260yds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: pd at 3260yds

I'm with devildoc if conditions are GOOD, they don't have to be perfect, we are able to see dogs. If the mirage is up your done. My partner and I also spend our time try to resolve 30 cal and 6mm bullet holes at 1000 yds. When conditions are good as in last week one day you could see 6mm as plain as day, 30 cal jumped out at you. Today you could see 30 cal easy but you had to really look for 6mm and even then you missed some. Other guys at the range couldn't see the 30's we marked them and went and looked and thats where they were. So it takes some time behind the scope also. Last year we were at 2200-3000 and the conditions were fair and at 3k you had a hard time seeing but just wait a minute and the wind may blow the mirage away.

Devildoc PM sent

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER
Old 07-01-2009, 06:29 PM

Re: pd at 3260yds

devildoc
i have the blue and white gun in the pics. two years ago i made shots over 1700yrds with the same 20x50 prem. boosted leupy. last year i shot one 2217yrds with a 12x42 nf, back down to about 30 power (mirage). this year i switched to a 10x60 march. you are right, the conditions have to be darn near perfect to see that far. when conditions were good i was up on 60 power for some shots. the wind does help to keep the mirage from getting too fat. as for the mount, i called elmer two years ago. he said he no longer made the mount. if i wanted one i would have to buy from someone who had one. i guy in minnasota. had one. (met him through vha mag) he sent me detailed pics of his, i thought of a simaler but simpler design with less moving parts and had a machinist buddy make two of them,one for each of the guns. if you are interested in it i can send pics and scaled drawing of it. the elev adjustment is .750" which works out to juat over 4200yrds. and windage is good for about 30 to 35 mile winds at same distance. i'm not sure about my eyes but jg and i were load testing today for the upcoming pa williamsport world open shoot on the 11th and 12th. at 7:30 this morning we could see 6mm holes at 1000 yrds on white paper with a swaro 60x spotter. at 10:00am you could only see the 30's. again in the right conditions you can see. happy shooting.

Last edited by wilbur300wsm; 07-01-2009 at 06:39 PM.