Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

pd at 3260yds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

pd at 3260yds

Well this year we went for the 2 mile club and as luck would have it we sadly did not make it. The weather for the 1st 2 days was terrible with tornados, and rain running us in the truck many times. The praire was soaked with rain that they have been having for weeks and we couldn't see alot of shots. The weather for the last day was perfect, you could use all your scope, 60 x on the spotter but it still doesn't help if you can't see your shots.

We finally found some of our shots and they ended up at 3260yds but luck was not on our side this year and the fact that it takes just short of 9 seconds for a bullet to get there we never connected on a dog. We did however learn some vaulble info. for next year and I belive if the weather holds out we will make it next year. I also belive that the weather was the major problem this year as our guns and equipment performed excellent. If we could have spotted more of our shots I think we would have made it.

If the wind was constant or when it died down we were putting 7 out of 10 shots in a 20" group. Let that wind pick up and you could be as much as 20' off. Twenty inches leaves alot of room for a pd to wander around in. Many shots were mere inches but it mite as well been miles because they are all still alive at that distance.

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER
Old 06-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: pd at 3260yds

If I ever hit a prairie dog at 3260 yards it will be because I take a shot at a Canada goose flying overhead with my 338 Edge and the PD is unlucky enough to have stepped onto ground zero! I'm impressed that you're even trying, let alone that you might ever hit one at that range.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Now there's some dedicated shooters!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Gold Member

well it won't happen if you don't try, so good on you.

thanks for sharing, and keep us all posted as well.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghoghunter View Post
7 out of 10 shots in a 20" group
What kind of rifle were you using?
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 06-24-2009, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe, what you need is for someone hide down range close to the animals. Then he could spot the shots for you and radio back the corrections.

Make sure he is well clear and off to the side of the danger zone. Behind an earth bank or big rock would also ba a good idea!

P.S. No pot shots at the rock just for fun!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Silver Member

I have a zeiss 85 t spotting scope we use, it's kind of a good spotting scope I think. but I sure as hell can't see a prairie dog at 2 miles with it or a 24x leupold scope so just what kind of optics are you using?