Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Painted my Varmint/Coyote gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: Painted my Varmint/Coyote gun

i used all glaced cotton thread so it wont decay when wet, without giving away all my secrets i can tell you i used 3/4 in wide shoelace made of polyester synthetic fibre, also it is completely removable i used no glue i used the swivel studs and my bipod to secure it. and i used 8 different colors of thread to get a universal cammo pattern . i double looped all the thread so they wont be pulled out if snagged on a twig or something, i dont want to leave a thread trail, even though a gopher wont be tracking me through the woods. The whole thing took about 10 -12 hours to do over a 2 week period i have also made a pair of shooting gloves also heres the pic, the glove took about 6 hours to complete i am proud of it, let me know what ya think
Old 10-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Md 25v View Post
I used Krylon matte camo spray paints from walmart. Matte black, OD, tan, and brown.

Nice Ar hunting rig. I have a custom made 243wssm upper I got last year by Mike Milli, Actually got it used on another forum. Where did you get yours? I'm waiting for my next upper from Mike but the Wait is Killin me.
I custom built mine with AccuracySystems.com out of Colorado. Kinda spendy but have a GREAT MOA guarantee as well as a plethora of options. My upper is .936 under the forarm, about .920 under the gas block and i think about .900 at the muzzle 24" long and great to shoot...especially with a suppressor. Gotta love being able to use a can on big game.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

holy crap that goes looks so BADASS i really like the tan accents, your right it does stick out like a sore thumb in a the prairie environment even with the net it doesnt quite work. the picture looks like a small bit of bunched up straw has a really big gun, i dig the guille suit by the way,

I do have a tip for you when you paint it before i did the cammo on my gun i bought a UTG bipod wich was black. My gun has a mossy oak brush pattern all over i bought it like that its the savage 93 xp cammo. so i painted the bipod and the mount with testors model paint and got it to basically match my gun, you may know that probably wasnt the best chioce of paint, so i used some 2 dollar lowes brand clearcoat, dont buy super gloss buy the regular stuff the cheaper the better, you dont want a good thick coat so its shiny, i lightly dusted my bipod with the clear, enough to cover it and water/oil proof the paint, it turned out great a flat/satin finish and the paint wont chip off or smear when oil hits it.

when you are painting i would hold the can like a foot and a half away from what you are trying to paint ( for the clear only). for colors follow the directions on the can
while you spraw the clear you will be able to see small droplets, smaller than the size of this period. build up like dew on a finely waxed car in the morning, when the gun is covered with "dew" let it set for a bit check it touch up any spots you need to and your done.
i didnt tape the picatinny mount for the bipod off, i cant see any problem with the little bit of paint that is in the mount for my bipod. the gun sits perfectly level i checked

however if you are going to take your scope off to paint i would tape the mounts off hope this helps good luck

Last edited by Savageman69; 10-09-2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: correcting model