Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Newcastle, Wyoming prairie dog hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Bronze Member

Newcastle, Wyoming prairie dog hunting

We made a hunt up in the Newcastle area this past summer. It was our first hunt for the dogs. Although we had a good time, my closest shot was 192 yards with most being 400 and more. Are there any hunters or ranchers in this area that might give me some advise on additional areas to shoot. Jacque and I just liked the town and want to come back.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Newcastle, Wyoming prairie dog hunting

Were you hunting on private property? It is hard to find places to dog hunt around Newcastle.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:29 AM
Bronze Member

Yes, we were hunting on private property. I did not realize that it was hard to find a place up there. Of course this was our first trip. I did some inquiries and got an email from the landowner inviting us up. The only thing I did not realize was that we were not the first shooters there. This made for some long shots.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:25 PM

The game warden in this area Dustin Shorna (last name not spelled right) bent over backwards helping us on our antelope and prairie dog hunt. He took us about 40 miles west of town and got us set up on p-dogs. From what I understand the shooting is lousy due to the plauge but for a flatlander like me it was awesome, probably got 75 or so in a day. We ran into another game warden out there and he was really helpful as well. Those guys are real class acts and if you track them down you won't be disappointed.
Josh
Old 01-19-2010, 02:47 AM
Platinum Member

Hello,

There are actually quite a few areas within an hour drive of newcastle to shoot Dogs. Yes, the plaque did come through and "naturally" eliminate alot of them. Most of the area is private land. With some driving and a good map, you can find some towns on public land that has public access. The experiences you had with long shots are very common here. These dogs have been shot at for so many years that they've become smart. I would say that the majority of the dog towns are "educated" and you will have to shoot at least 200 yds most of the time, with 300 to 500 yd shots being most common. Of course, in most of this area a person could shoot out as far as they wish.

You may be able to find some uneducated towns, but most are "long range"

Most of the landowners allow prarie dog shooting, some might charge a small trespass fee however. Nearly all of them (charge or not) have people coming in on a fairly regular basis during the spring/summer months. This makes for some long range shooting.

Last edited by SBruce; 01-24-2010 at 05:00 AM. Reason: More Info
Old 01-28-2010, 06:47 AM
Bronze Member

SBruce

Thanks for the reply. I sent you a private message also.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Bronze Member

It appears at the present time that we won't make the hunt this year. Our 4 year old grand daughter has been diagnosed with cancer so my time may be spend in Memphis. We still hope things work out and we can go back to Newcastle.