Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

My First AR-15..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Bronze Member

My First AR-15..

I just got my first AR-15 together this afternoon. It is a dedicated plink/varmint gun. We are covered up in coyotes, hogs and cats and I've always wanted an AR so it made for a good excuse. I'll be headed to the range this Sunday with several assorted boxes of Black Hills hoping to find a grouper.

18" RRA Varmint A4
CAA Stock
Armalite Base/Ring Combo
Leupold Mark 4 PR 3.5 X 10

Last edited by Misfire; 09-14-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Gold Member

your AR looks g

Have you did anything with the trigger yet

You can change out Trigger springs out . an it will help the trigger

I used the J P springs when I changed mine
They will coust under $ 8. 00

It will change the trigger pull from 7 ,5 lbs to 3.5 lbs

Your gun smith can change them out in about 5 muintes .

I found my JP AR 15 trigger spring at brownels .

Redbone

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards
Old 09-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

If she is accurate you good to go. I bought a Rock River for dog hunting coyotes. I`ll use a bolt gun for calling and snipeing, but when their running I want several fast shots. For snipeing I want a longer range than I can get with a .223 round, so I use a .22-6mm, an 80 gn. bullet at 3,481 fps. The AR for running dogs can`t be beat though.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Bronze Member

I shot her today and was quite impressed. The rifle easily meets RRA's 3/4 Minute guarantee.

Three different sized bullets were tried in two makes. (Match Hollow Point and V-Max.)

Red Box Black Hills 75gr Match HP
Blue Box Black Hills 60gr Moly V-Max
Blue Box Black Hills 68gr Match HP

The 60gr V-Max was the most accurate easily placing 3 rounds into a dime and 5 rounds into a quarter. (quite literally) The best groups were 5 round .5" groups.

Next was the 75gr Match HP that shot 1 inch. The best groups were 5rnd 1" groups.

Suprisingly, the 68gr Match HP shot between 1-1.5" groups. The best groups were 5rnd 1" groups.

If I were going off 3 round groups then I'd say the rifle shoots the 60gr V-Max hole in hole and 3/8" with the 75gr Match HP. (One 5 round group of 75gr Match put 4 rounds in the same hole so tight that you had to convince yourself that all 4 were there. ) This rifle easily shoots 3 leaf "clovers" but I always had a flyer or two that opened the 5 round groups. In the hands of a competent rifleman this rifle can do much better than I did.

The gun shoots very well and I'm quite happy with it. One of the cool things is that the 75gr HPs and the 60gr V-Max shoot to the same POI at 100 yards. I can shoot hogs with the heavier rounds and yotes, cats and everything else with the smaller rounds.

I plan on shooting out to 500 yards next weekend. I have to shoot the ladder with one of my long gun and I'm planning on taking the AR to ring the gong at longer ranges just for kicks.

There is still a lot of ammo to try and different weights to shoot. Woo Hoo! This AR stuff is FUN!

Last edited by Misfire; 09-16-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Fine looking rig. You might try some different 55 and 62gr military ball also. Never can tell, it might like one of them. Most of what's available is imported, but Iv'e had some luck with Brit and Israeli 62gr and white box Chinese 55gr. I don't know what the rifling twist is, but I've seen this stuff do better than 2 moa in barrels from 7 to 14 twist, and 1 moa in some.

IMO, I'd start out on the 3.5 X on your scope, it'll get busy after the first shot, and the field of view at 10 X may be too small to keep track of several animals at under 200 yds, or to make follow-up shots on one. Be sure that the scope is the right height to come up naturally and be looking down the pipe every time.

AR's are capable of fine accuracy and excellent for fast recovery between shots.

Good hunting, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 09-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Gold Member

I buy ultramax 55 gr sp's in bulk, right now cabelas lists them for 102 bucks per 300 rounds. They shoot in the .2's pretty often from my RRA 24", 1/8 varminter.
RR
BTW ya think the 223 stuff is fun, wait till you try a 458 socom or 25 wssm in an AR
Old 10-27-2007, 06:41 PM

As we do not have the level of varmits down here in Australia that you have in the States, I use a 223 Remington bolt action with 5.56mm cases and loading with a Sierra Blitz 50 gram projectile and find that on Ferel dogs, cats and foxes it stops them very fast I use Reloader 15 powder 1.9 Lee dipper, this gives me a muzzle velocity of 3324 feet per second.
I have tried heavier projectiles but the 50 gram stops them dead
It is also a good weight for Goats