Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Mountain Lion shot in City limits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Mountain Lion shot in City limits

Now here in ND we just started with a mountain lion season less than five years ago. I have been living five miles north of town. I had not seen it for myself, but people I trust kept on saying and reporting mt. lion sightings for a couple of years now. The Game and fish told them it was a coyote or just moving through. I guess they were wrong.

Mountain lion shot in Bismarck

I guess we now know where all the missing pets went. Not to mention the abundant deer population. Amazing how well the predators can adapt to it's surroundings and what they will tolerate(human presence) for an abundant supply of food. Our area isn't exactly the typical area for a mt. lion to be found in.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Last edited by blipelt; 12-03-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: Mountain Lion shot in City limits

Any pictures on this from the newspaper, or perhaps IT DIDN'T MAKE IN THE PAPER
Old 11-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

The only picture I saw was the one on the link. I heard or read it was a 6ft male lion weighing about 100lbs. This isn't a common thing here in ND so it made the paper and the news for a couple of days.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 12-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

beautiful cat. shame they had to shoot him.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Silver Member

Often cougars are seen in various parts of CA. In recent years, more and more residential have outdoor security camera for security purposes. Now there are more solid evidence of cougars walking down the neighborhoods. CA banned lion hunting since the 70s, the population is really strong for now.

NV cougar season is open year round with two tags per person. They only have three major cities(elko, reno, and Las vegas). Out in Reno, an elementary school on the edge of the city limit is often delayed every year due to cougar walking along the edge of the fence. Happily no one been attacked yet(19 years and counting).
Old 12-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Houndsmen in Cali and Washington now kill more lions under damage control than they were when hunting was legal. Go figure
If it was a 100lbs tom his momma is around and maybe a sister, he would have just been kicked of his mom or just about to get the boot. We call them pup trainers!!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

[QUOTE=bigngreen;335087]Houndsmen in Cali and Washington now kill more lions under damage control than they were when hunting was legal. Go figure...QUOTE]

Yep...

Anyways I remembered that about 10-15 years ago, a cougar/cubs were shot (within reno, nv city limits or right next to it) when it was sneaking up on kids at a home. It was assumed that the female cougar was training the cubs to hunt. The father that shot them all was put in jail. Don't know the whole story.

How does that figure?