Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Model 12 savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:43 AM

Model 12 savage

HI, I have a pre-accutrigger savage model 12/112 in .223 Remington. It has a 26" stainless barrel and bolt handle. Does anyone know the twist rate on this rifle?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Silver Member

Re: Model 12 savage

I have a similar BVSS rifle with a carbon reciever and stainless barrel (pre accutrigger) and mine is 1-9

but you should be able to measure your barrel to know what it is for sure (I think savage did 1-9 and 1-12 twist 223 barrels)

get a tight fitting patch and jag and push it in to near the muzzle, then take some masking tape and marker and put a piece of tape near the handle of your rod and mark the 12 oclock position, take another piece of tape and wrap your cleaning rod at the rear of the action. Then pull the rod out towards the breech until the mark makes a full revolution and is back at 12 oclock, put another wrap of tape on your cleaning rod at the rear of the action there. Remove the rod completely and measure the distance between your 2 tape wraps. that will give you 1 twist in X inches.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Model 12 savage

Berger manual says it's a 1in 9
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe