Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Medical advice after a Prairie Dog Shoot.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 12:41 PM

Medical advice after a Prairie Dog Shoot.

This weekend I shot some p dogs with some buddies. 4 of us have these itchy red spots right at our boot line above our ankles. What the heck bit us and how the heck do we make the itching stop!

Last edited by 7man; 08-17-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: put heck instead of h. e. double hockey sticks
Old 08-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Medical advice after a Prairie Dog Shoot.

I'll take a stab at it I say it's two things maybe poison oak or chiggers. Cure Calamine lotion or take a hot bath and sleep with your feet elevated above your head
Old 08-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

If you were in grass or weeds they are probably chiggers. They live and hang on the under side or shaded side of leaves or grass. The chiggers are very small and use their saliva to soften the skin to bite. That causes an alergic reaction and a small welt or series of welts that itch like crazy. I use " Chigger-Ex Plus" a cream I get at Walgreens. Nothing cures them but time , but this does help. Don't believe the myth that they are in or under your skin, (although it will feel like it) They could however still be in your sox and transfer to other cloths or bedding. To kill them wash everything in 120 degree plus water.

They suck and expect to enjoy them for 3 weeks or more while healing. If ya scratch enough the scars will last even longer.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. A repelant with deet will keep em off next time and spray real good at the top of your boots or where you have clothing with elastic.

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

7man,
Sorry to hear about your dilemma! Being from N.C., I've had them several times over. They are quiet the nuisance. This is what I do; I wash with hot water and soap then after I dry off I use the RAID. That's right RAID. The one in the purple can for pets. I figured if it wouldn't hurt Fidoe it wouldn't hurt me. It did get rid of the pest and gave me some relief. "Haw, knock 'im out John".
I sprayed it on the itchy parts (legs/ankles) and then in my hand and rubbed in places I probably shouldn't have (private ) and went to work. Bout 10:30 "things" got mighty hot. Thought I was going to have to drag my arse across the carpet like Fidoe does! Gets hotter than Bengay!
I talked with my buddy who gave me the remedy and after he got through crying with laughter said "you were supposed to wash it off after 20-30 minutes, then go to work!" I called it the Apache treatment....burn 'em out. Good luck. JohnnyK.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Bronze Member

I used to get chiggers all the time as a kid. The best remedy I have found, and I have tried many, is right before going to bed, take a hot shower, and spray the affected area with hair spray. This suffocates those lil boogers fairly quickly. The itching may last a couple days but all in all it is the quickest remedy I have found.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Bronze Member

In Egypt there's a real problem with desert fleas biting ankles. The archiologists put flea collars around their ankles to keep them away.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Bronze Member

I call 'em 'No see 'ems'

Knats or what ever bite the hell out of your legs above sock line.....either next time spray bug spray well...or wear long pants......