Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Luck is with the patent ones!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Luck is with the patent ones!

Quote:
I am denied access to the "Hunting Stories" chapter

At the top of the page is a bar with different links in it. Select either "Home" or "Articles" and it will take you to the stories and articles if you are just interested in reading them.

If you wished to post them there that can only be done by one of the forum Administrators. Those are the stories that are in the monthly newsletter.

Most stories are just posted as you did in whatever animal category seems appropriate.

Last edited by Buffalobob; 03-30-2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: better explanation
Old 03-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

Great story and a wonderful rifle you have there. I've always loved fine German rifles. I must say that my patents runs out when the temps drop below 0.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Christian F,

That was a "good" night.

That is a very fine piece of equipment. It would be great in my back yard where deer, elk, coyote, pheasants are all legal at the same time. That would be fun.

About that night hunt? Was there snow on the ground or a full moon?

Also, who is the manufacturer of that 56mm scope?

Its good to not let the cold keep you from enjoying the outdoors.

Be careful about that falling asleep. When I do that I can never get warm again.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:39 AM

Luck is with the patient ones!

@ jerrschmitt: You are right, there are some fine guns and excellent gunsmiths in Germany but also in some other European countries.

Regarding loss of patients below 0C, I used to frees regularly during my winter hunting’s until an experienced hunter told me an old German hunters expression which says; "If a hunter freezes, either he is poor or stupid". Meaning that wearing the right clothing and especially "onion layer" method of clothing, as we call it in Germany will prevent you from getting cold and will allow you a wonderful time out in the nature.
This means that instead of wearing one thick piece of clothing, you better wear several pieces and not too small of a size.
This will create different layers of warm air buffers and keep you warmer for a longer time.
By the way it is essential that your head keeps warm (Below 0C, I ware a Russian hat with four, it looks not so good but it works like hell). It is also important to keep your feet and neck and hands warm. It is really easy and do not allow the cold to reach you in the beginning because once you cool down, that's it and you better call it "a day". Hunting is about enjoying and not suffering!!!

By the way some hunters think that Alcohol helps warming them up, this is the case only for a short time, your body cools down even faster shortly after. By the way I am not a friend of excess Alcohol in combination with guns and hunting (accident potential and ethics of hunting meaning "1 shot 1 kill", instantly if possible!!).

By the way I love hunting during the winter month especially at night, when snow covers the ground; hunting Foxes, Marten and Wild Boars (other games are not allowed to be hunted during the night time).
As my hunting ground is just a leap way from my house, I am at least 3-4 time a week hunting (early morning before going to work or late afternoon or at night ,in all weather conditions.

Sometimes I shoot and some times I just go observing and enjoying the nature and the animals. In Germany you can hunt 12 month, it just depends on the species.

@ royinidaho: Yessss, it would be great for you because you will have the right "dosage" for any game which you might encounter in your "backyard".

You asked about the conditions at "that" night, yes for both; there was snow and nearly full moon (it was great!!!).

The scope on my "Drilling" is a German made "Nickel 3-12x56".

You are 100% right on that not falling asleep but I would have gone home anyway when the "show" would have started.

Take call and a safe and great hunting!

Cheers, Christian

Last edited by Christian F.; 03-31-2009 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Cheers and not Cherrs!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:50 AM

Luck is with the patient ones! and not with the "patent" ones.

I called the topic "Luck is with the patent ones!" Unfortunately I wrote the word patient wrong. Apparently I can't edit the topic myself. I would like to put it right and have the topic changed to "Luck is with the patient ones!". Can someone help my on that?

Thanks, Christian
Old 04-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member

Do you use the scope for both rifles? How different do they shoot when shooting a target. What difference do you have in hold for your point of aim? Sorry for the questions, but I am very curious.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

my definition of luck is when preparation meets opportunity....it always seems the more prepared you are the more luck you have! Welcome to our forum and thanks for the story. AJ