Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Luck is with the patent ones!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 12:50 PM

Luck is with the patent ones!

Sorry guys, but apparently I am denied access to the "Hunting Stories" chapter. May be I am too "Junior" for this!

Allow me to try it in this way!

Hi out there,

As a newcomer I would like also to contribute a little from this side of the pond; Germany.

I am a passionate hunter who has his own modest (300 Hectares) hunting area just around the corner were I live and use every opportunity to go out in the nature.

Now the story; It was the coldest night registered since 18 years and the temperature dropped down to -22 deg Celsius which is exceptional for our area (near Cologne)
which is only 200 m above sea level. I decided to go out and shoot a fox, as snow was covering the ground and it was no problem seeing even the smallest things out there.

It was 8 p.m. as my wife called me crazy when I left home with my „Drilling“ which is a 3 barreled rifle (mine has a .22 Hornet, 7x65R and a 12 gage)
with a scope of 56 mm objective, allowing me an excellent optic performance even at poor light conditions.

Only 5 minutes later I in a dear blind. I was packed like an Eskimo and was enjoying the nature. It was so cold that not even the Jackrabbits came out of the woods.
I was thinking and quit convinced that I was the only crazy species being out at that night.

I must have fallen asleep and round about 11:30 p.m a marten appeared and stood for a fraction of a second still at roughly 90 m.
In the snow and nearly full moon it was as if he was lit up. I decided to send a bullet from y .22 Hornet barrel out in his direction. Up on impact he just dropped dead.

I was thinking to call it an end and go hope as all of a sudden a Fuchs appeared and started to „work“ on my Marten. So once again I went decided fort he .22 Hornet and send it out.
The Fuchs ran about 15 m and dropped dead.

For me it was an exciting hunt and decided to pack up and go home.

I always document my hunt with photos of the animals, so as I got to the Marten I took a picture of him and then went to the Fuchs and did the same and all of sudden
(it was in the mean while 01:00 a.m) I heard noises coming out of the woods in front of me at a distance of around 50 m. I was standing middle of the field with no were to take cover.
The noise came from a wild male boar walking between the trees and apparently not noticing me. Maybe his ears were frozen!!!

I made sure that it was not a female and decided fort he 7x65R barrel and waited for him to present himself accordingly and send my 178 Grain bullet out.
Blinded from the flash of the shot, I did not see were he went but in the snow it was easy to track him. I found him dead only 15 m away from the spot I shot him.

The wild boar was 80 kg and the rest you can imagine what a work it was to get him home and do all what needed to be done.

What a night, at the coldest winter in Germany since 18 years.

For those of you who are still inexperienced; the successful hunter must be patient and not give up so fast!
I hope not to have bored any one. Sorry for my English, but at least I tried!!!
Take care all and happy hunting.
Christian

Last edited by Christian F.; 03-29-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Luck is with the patent ones!

Welcome to long range hunting and that was and excellent story. Is there a chance we can get and up close picture of the rifle/shotgun.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 03-29-2009, 04:02 PM

Hi Brent,

I am glad that you liked it. You know, even as a not so inexperienced hunter, it is not so often that you have the chance of such a memorable night.

For your information, the "Drilling" (in German it means: 3 barrels) is a Suhl (a famous gun smith town in the former East Germany) made Simson Mod. 32.

Just before going to sleep (it is now nearly 11 p.m. in Germany) I took a couple of photos of the "Drilling" and I hope the view and quality is o.k. for you.

You know, I have 18 guns but 95% of the time I go out hunting I have the "Drilling" as you never know what you come across with and as such you have all you need (.22 Hornet, 7x65R and a 12 gage).

Once again, thanks for you positive feed back and take care

Christian

Old 03-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

That is one fine rifle. It is really nice to see the cultural differences from country to country. I have never seen anything resembling that before. I think the Drilling is the ultimate predator rifle.

Thanks for sharing

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 03-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

Welcome
That was a great story - talk about an evening of fun. Thanks for sharing it with us. That is a absolutely beautiful firearm.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

Great post and a great story!

I had read about Drillings for the last several years, but had only been able to picture them in my mind, having never come across a picture of one. Very interesting and useable piece of firearm art!

Welcome!

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 03-30-2009, 02:53 AM

Luck is with the patient ones!

Hi Brent, Hi all of you giving me your positive feed back. Thanks!!

Indeed, the weapon is quit useful and not only for predators.

One particular thing with the "Drillings" is that when shooting couple of rounds, one after another, out of the larger caliber barrel is that the point of impact climbs a little (due to "bimetallic effect" of the 3 barrels soldered together).

This fact is from the hunting perspective not relevant as you should in any case go for an ethical "1 shot 1 kill" and should need to fire another rounds directly afterwards will make the bullet clime only a little (max. 5 cm) which will be o.k. for a second kill shot.

Though one should take this fact into account when "zeroing" the scope and allow about a couple of minutes between the shots.

At 100 m I shoot with the .22 Hornet and 7x65R groups of less than 0,5 cm which means "hole in hole", making this weapon a very effective one. I have shot many deers at ranges up to 300 m and it worked well. The same goes for the .22 Hornet on varmints.

The 12 gage (12x70) I use when a fox or rabbit appears at distances up to 35 m. NB:In the former days in Germany and still in some countries (in Germany is forbidden) raw deer was also shot with shot gun or with the shot gun barrel of the “Drilling”. Needless to say that the distance must be max. 40 m and the pellet diameter min. 3,5 mm. It works! and the raw deer dies instantly, due to shock effect of the pellets, but the hunter must be very disciplined otherwise the poor animal will be only wounded and suffers needlessly!!

By the way there are all sorts of "Drilling" variations; with 3 riffled barrels, 2 rifled and 1 shot gun, 2 shot gun and one rifled barrel etc.

The most popular versions comes in the combination 7x65R + .22 Hornet + 12 gage but there are also 9,3x74R or 30-06.

Take care guys and enjoy the good things in life.
Christian