Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

LR 'Chucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 07:59 AM
SPONSOR

LR 'Chucks

We guide a lot of sagerat (Beldings Gound Squirrel) hunters in the spring. It's a high volume shoot with tons of targets. We also book some long range rockchuck hunts with a few riflemen who appreciate going long. Our small and scattered 'chuck colonies require some strict conservation and this is not high volume. It's about range. We had a father and son come down from Alberta, Canada. They both shot a bunch of SR's for two days then Eugene spent two days on LR 'chucks.

The first day of 'chucks was primarily focused fulfilling his goal of getting him into the VHA 500 Yard Club with a rifle he 'smithed himself. He took one rockchuck at 525 yards then got another couple at 635 and 645 with his .300 RUM. The second day we went further. He took several shots around 890 yards in a strong and tricky wind that crossed between us and the targets. The 'chucks were in the brush and the grass feeding and our recent wet weather made seeing impacts tough. Many of the shots had to be called by just a partial bullet trace. Eventually, the cold spring wind sent us after firewood and a break to warm up.

After thawing out, we spotted another chuck on a small rim at 866 yards. He had a rock behind him so it was a good place to call the shot. Adjustments turned out to be unnecessary as the first bullet clearly went centermass on the 'chuck. The rockchuck was laying two feet from where Eugene shot him. Eugene couldn't have been happier.

www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 05-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Re: LR 'Chucks

Man, there's almost nothing better than long range chuck hunting. Our annual safari is coming up the first week of June. Been out scouting and it looks like its gonna be a banner year for chucks. We also go for quality rather than quantity although some of the ranchers here would rather us go for quantity. We're all in the thousand yard club on chucks and we'll keep trying for the 1500 yard club. Here's a couple of photos of chuck scouting. I had 25 chucks all at the same time in one of the photos here but couldn't fit em all in. Tim, that looks like a great time and you have to love that part of Oregon.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
LR 'Chucks-rockchucks-027.jpg   LR 'Chucks-rockchucks-028.jpg  

LR 'Chucks-rockchucks-021.jpg   LR 'Chucks-rockchucks-050.jpg  

LR 'Chucks-rockchucks-053.jpg   LR 'Chucks-rockchucks-060.jpg  

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 AM
SPONSOR

Nice, Randy! I wish we had some colonies the size of yours in S Idaho!
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt35 View Post
Nice, Randy! I wish we had some colonies the size of yours in S Idaho!
We are hoping to make them smaller................

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 05-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

Save me one Tim! Getting on the bench today!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:47 PM
Bronze Member

Congrat's to Eugene on the LR chucks, that's a long shot. He definately had the hardware for the job. Thanks for the good times Tim. Saw a few p dogs pups out so been busy with them. See ya next year