Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.


Reply

Long Range Varmint Riflles

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 11-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 21
Re: Long Range Varmint Riflles

My hog guns are 6ppc under 500 yards no wind any other 6.5 x 284 and i waiting for this 6.5 to toast so i can goto the 6 Dasher or it's like.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Long Range Varmint Riflles-mvc-016s.jpg   Long Range Varmint Riflles-mvc-169s.jpg  

Long Range Varmint Riflles-mvc-068s.jpg  

Last edited by hedgehoghunter; 11-06-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 224
Re: Long Range Varmint Riflles

T13 , depends on what you call Long Range . If I were just starting out , I would go with a 223 , 223 AI or one of the 20s based on the 223 Case like the TAC 20 or Practical . If Brass Cost is not a concern , maybe a 20 BR or 20 PPC which would also take you out a little further . For Ranges out to roughly 700 or 800 Yards , a 6 MM or 6 AI or 6 Dasher or 6 -284 or a Fast Twist big Case 22 . For 800 to maybe 1200 Yards , one of the big Case 6.5 MMs work well . All these Calibers have wide Bullet choices . For the last two categories , go Heavy and / or install Muzzle Brakes so you can see your hits ( or misses ) .
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado, Front Range
Posts: 561
Re: Long Range Varmint Riflles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulku View Post
T13 , depends on what you call Long Range . If I were just starting out , I would go with a 223 , 223 AI or one of the 20s based on the 223 Case like the TAC 20 or Practical . If Brass Cost is not a concern , maybe a 20 BR or 20 PPC which would also take you out a little further . For Ranges out to roughly 700 or 800 Yards , a 6 MM or 6 AI or 6 Dasher or 6 -284 or a Fast Twist big Case 22 . For 800 to maybe 1200 Yards , one of the big Case 6.5 MMs work well . All these Calibers have wide Bullet choices . For the last two categories , go Heavy and / or install Muzzle Brakes so you can see your hits ( or misses ) .
Not in my hands yet. But here is my 20 Practical after a cerakote job and new stock. I will drive to Kevin's this week and pick her up. She shoots the 39-40gr BT's at 3800+ and is deadly out to 500 yards on PD's. I will post some picture when she is in my hands but for now you can follow the link to Weaver Rifles.

Weaver Rifles Web

Here is my LOOOONG Range PD rifle. 6mm-06, 70gr NBT @ 3800+... Notice the break, I LOVE Red Mist!

Jon





Last edited by strombeckj; 11-05-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 224
Re: Long Range Varmint Riflles

StrombeckJ , that is REALLY nice ..... I'm partial to those sand colored Rifles . There's only one problem with that outfit : nine Cartridges ain't enough for an outing !
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado, Front Range
Posts: 561
Re: Long Range Varmint Riflles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulku View Post
StrombeckJ , that is REALLY nice ..... I'm partial to those sand colored Rifles . There's only one problem with that outfit : nine Cartridges ain't enough for an outing !

Thanks, I know what you mean about the 9 rounds.

It only sees about 10 rounds through it on a good outing. I will usually carry it with one of my smaller cals. I have no problem spitting lead at PD's out to 500 yards with my .223AI and my 20Prac. Lot more cost effective.


Jon
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: WY
Posts: 164
Re: Long Range Varmint Riflles

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but Strombeckj, how do you like the minox scope? Compared to others?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado, Front Range
Posts: 561
Re: Long Range Varmint Riflles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5Express View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but Strombeckj, how do you like the minox scope? Compared to others?
So far I like the scope. I would put the glass on par with any of my other high end scopes I currently own. Leupold, Ziess & Sightron SIII. I have not really twisted on the turrets all that much but it has held it's POI so far. For a hunting scope for it's intended purpose it has been great. I would by another over a Conquest based on bang for the buck.


Jon
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Long Range Varmint Riflles
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fast twist .22-250 long range varmint gun?? rdsii64 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 7 12-15-2011 08:24 PM
My New Long Range Varmint Rig Ordered. robbobsam Long Range Hunting & Shooting 1 06-10-2011 12:31 PM
Long Range Varmint 243. Ongaku Reloading 2 03-26-2008 10:07 AM
.50 Cal. long Range Varmint Rifles jr51 Equipment Discussions 2 08-31-2004 08:51 PM
the best long range varmint caliber Varmint Hunter The Basics, Starting Out 27 11-05-2003 09:04 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC