Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Let's see your Varmit rifles !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: Let's see your Varmit rifles !

My latest addition in 223/5.56
Old 02-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Silver Member

I see both your rifles have to share the same bed.

Nice looking rifles! I love thumbholes, I made my F/Class Savage stock into a thumbhole...........pg. 50..................Savage 22-243 AI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
The 22-250 with it's new Boyd's stock, near rifle, far rifle is the 7mag

Old 02-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

6mm x 47 Lapua on a Savage Model 12 with Lilja Barrel with Leupold scope and "custom" garage-made BDC turrets (white stick-on labels marked in yards).

A little heavy to take too far from the truck, not to mention I wish it was a repeater but hey for this kind of accuracy I can't complain I guess. Will even get the 3 foot by 3 foot 1 mile gong on a calm day
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Let's see your Varmit rifles !-6x47edit2.jpg  

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 02-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB11WYO View Post
6mm x 47 Lapua on a Savage Model 12 with Lilja Barrel with Leupold scope and "custom" garage-made BDC turrets (white stick-on labels marked in yards).

A little heavy to take too far from the truck, not to mention I wish it was a repeater but hey for this kind of accuracy I can't complain I guess. Will even get the 3 foot by 3 foot 1 mile gong on a calm day
That's some pretty good shooting. Out of curiosity, what is your load data?
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVAGE22-243AI View Post
I see both your rifles have to share the same bed.

Nice looking rifles! I love thumbholes, I made my F/Class Savage stock into a thumbhole...........pg. 50..................Savage 22-243 AI
Thanks!
I was looking at getting the wildcat thumbhole, how do you like it?
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 02-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Silver Member

I love it, the thumbhole is the only way to go for the fast pace Prairie Dog shooting or following a coyote.
Everyone that shoots it has me make them up a thumbhole stock. But the B&C Medalist works very well too. Just not as pretty with all the colors you can get. Electric blue or Desert sunset.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Bronze Member

Well the season is right around the corner so I figured I'd show my new light walking varmiter. It's a new Ruger American in 243 with a 4-12 Vortex Crossfire. Didn't do any fancy break in just started shooting away since I've got a ton of Hornady 95gr SSTs laying around. Trying to blow through them before I move to either the 87 gr Vmax or a VLD and do some actual load developement. The long vertical strand was the best grouping thus far, a 6 shot group just over an inch and a quarter tall but barely a quarter inch wide. They were shot of a Caldwell Rock front with a sand bag in the rear and the other 3 that are floating around were from the bipod and no bag (kinda worried me until I shot the other group). They were all high so I made one last adjustment with my last shot of the day and thats the one in the diamond. Can't wait to tune this thing in and hit the field but a paint job made be in order first, the all black is just boring. Other rifle isn't much of a Varmit gun just my Savage 11 308 with a bushnell 3200 on top. It only got 3 shots this trip to the range since the wind and cold wasn't all too enjoyable but with 3 shots like that I was pretty warm inside. OnTarget measured it at .326MOA.
Let's see your Varmit rifles !-downsized_0224131419ag.jpg

Let's see your Varmit rifles !-downsized_0224131352.jpg

Let's see your Varmit rifles !-downsized_0224131420.jpg