Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Let's see your Varmit rifles !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Silver Member

Re: Let's see your Varmit rifles !

I wish I had the tools to do metal work, would be fun. I wish I had even the necessary tools to do proper wood work. For now I am stuck with a basic viles, saw and some air tools to manage by. I prefer wood stocks so I am experimenting on making my own laminates. Getting the basic shape is a lot of work unless you want to use a grinder but that makes the chances of "ooops" moments much higher.

Still, the biggest work is getting nice fit on the action and then final touch up to make it look good. A good mill or CNC router would do wonders. So far I have two rough ones for Savage actions and an even rougher one for a Tikka T3. Anyone know a place to do woodwork in Tampa Florida area? Probably not but it's worth asking...

Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4given View Post
Heres my squirrel rifle:

Model 700 Varmint SF Thumbhole Special Run in .223
Scope is Nikon Monarch 6X24

Pictures are not that great but you will get the idea......

I call that the Roman road to redemption !
Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
I call that the Roman road to redemption !
That one looks like my XR-100. But it has the stainless fluted that I'd like to have on mine. So that is my plan whenever I rebarrel is to put on a stainless fluted two-tone like this one.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
I wish I had the tools to do metal work, would be fun. I wish I had even the necessary tools to do proper wood work. For now I am stuck with a basic viles, saw and some air tools to manage by. I prefer wood stocks so I am experimenting on making my own laminates. Getting the basic shape is a lot of work unless you want to use a grinder but that makes the chances of "ooops" moments much higher.

Still, the biggest work is getting nice fit on the action and then final touch up to make it look good. A good mill or CNC router would do wonders. So far I have two rough ones for Savage actions and an even rougher one for a Tikka T3. Anyone know a place to do woodwork in Tampa Florida area? Probably not but it's worth asking...

I have found that the most important part of a stock is it's rigidity and you will get that with a laminated design no worries. Well done mate . I had to give up making stocks in wood because I could not put up with the dust and got bad sinus trouble
So now I use mainly alloy with some wood tacked on where it is too cold to have just bare alloy . My next attempt will be a lighter rail with bolt on plastic or wood sides something like an AI stock .
Old 06-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

Hey Sami,
I would check with your local Middle or High School? Maybe, if there is a "wood shop" class, the wood shop teacher could point you in the right direction? My neighbor is a retired Gym Teacher, and he bought all of the wood shop tools from the High School, when they were ready to buy new equipment. Lucky neighbor! He builds display cases for train collectors, but not much else. My other neighbor is a retired machine tool man. He has a fantastic metal lathe in his barn. He was a darn good gun smith for many years. He has had eye problems in recent years, so those days are gone, but I love to pick his brain about rifles, and shooting in general.
Good luck, and keep up the good work.
Mike
Old 06-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Find a local cabinet maker and see what you might be able to work out with them.

I made a couple of stocks back in highschool as shop projects and like you found out in a hurry that when you are doing them without templates (there was no CNC machining back then), jigs, and equipment set up specifically for stock making it's an awful lot of work.

I started with just 2x6's and man it's a long way from a simple piece of lumber to a nice stock!

I think I ended up throwing away six or eight of them and starting over and after hundreds of hours of trial and error came up with two that were half assed workable.

You're already doing a nice job than I ever managed HA!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Haven't had much time to do load testing on it. Found this one from a guy wanting to trade for my franken LTR . He stated in the ad that it was a remington 700 VLS in 243. Wasn't even close.... It turns out receiver date is 1971 and barrel is May 1970. Really it is a Rem 700 BDL varmint deluxe. I had a VLS a few years ago and you can really tell the quality in this rifle vs. the previous actual VLS. Anyway, it can shoot submoa with 95grain bergers, but once I got a group I wanted I decided it was time to shoot some groundhogs. Sorry for the rotten pictures, I'm not a photographer. Love what those bergers do to those groundhogs ;)