Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Let's see your Varmit rifles !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Let's see your Varmit rifles !

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatyrem View Post
I am fairly easy on it. When in the pd towns, I never let it get hot. That's why I brought several other rifles with me. One gets warm, not hot just warm I set it aside and then on to the next one. I have know some out there that get them so hot they can't even touch their barrels. Mine has never been there or even close. So I guess if your easy on them one could expect the higher side of those figures.
You should. Just avoid max weight bullets and max loads and the barrel life should not be a problem.

I've only ever myself burned out one and the truth is I just liked shooting the damned thing too much. I just cut it off and rechambered it and put another couple of thousand through it.

One of these days I'll just send it off to Krieger and put a light varmint contour 24" barrel on it so I'll have plenty of room to do it all again. With the .204 there really doesn't seem to be any advantage to barrels longer than 20". I've shot prarie dog sized targets with it (one shot kills) out to 600yds and that's about as good as it gets with bullets that small.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:39 AM
Silver Member

Off subject (kind of), but can you see why we don't really have to worry about being "invaded" by another Country, during a war? With all of us non military "Snipers" scattered through just about every State in OUR Country, the invaders would retreat in a hurry after watching their comrades being dumped from 1500 yards and in!!! LMAO. Keep up the good fight, and keep building those tack drivers, Brothers and Sisters!!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiganhunter View Post
Off subject (kind of), but can you see why we don't really have to worry about being "invaded" by another Country, during a war? With all of us non military "Snipers" scattered through just about every State in OUR Country, the invaders would retreat in a hurry after watching their comrades being dumped from 1500 yards and in!!! LMAO. Keep up the good fight, and keep building those tack drivers, Brothers and Sisters!!
What was it that Japanese Admiral/General said? Something like "it would be a mistake to invade the mainland U.S. As you would be facing a rifle behind every blade of grass"
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

Think that was Russia....
Old 06-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyjoe1128 View Post
Yep, but as many Japanese lived and were educated in the US prior to the war in all likelihood that too figured into their thinking. If it didn't the Alaskan Scouts who handed them their asses in the Aleutians definitely convinced them.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyjoe1128 View Post
I looked but all I could find was on factcheck, apparently it's something gunrights groups like to spread, but factcheck reported it as bogus. Meh oh well I like it anyway
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
I looked but all I could find was on factcheck, apparently it's something gunrights groups like to spread, but factcheck reported it as bogus. Meh oh well I like it anyway
Not bogus. The quote was taken directly from a Russian defector and was part of the basic education of every new recruit to the Army for decades.