Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Let's see your Varmit rifles !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Let's see your Varmit rifles !

sweet looking rigs!

So I take it that noise suppressers are mandatory in New Zealand?

Must add significantly to the cost.
Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
Romans 6:23 "The wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Romans 5:8, "God demonstrates His own love for us, in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us!"
Romans 10:13 "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved!"
Romans 10:9"If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved.."
Old 10-04-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4given View Post
sweet looking rigs!

So I take it that noise suppressers are mandatory in New Zealand?

Must add significantly to the cost.
Thanks.

No, supressors are not mandatory over here, but I really prefer to use them on my varmint rigs, and other heavy rifles (where weight is not an issue). So much nicer to shoot and makes it easier to spot your shots (much the same as using a brake) and the big benefit is that it is quiet, and animals don't all clear out at the first shot. Its quite funny watching a group of rabbits wondering why their mate next to them has just exploded! and then proceeding to shoot the rest of them without the others having much of a clue what is going on. Also good when you are shooting with a spotter as you don't need to wear earmuffs/plugs.

Good supressors are around $500 NZD fitted, so about $350USD. Money well spent I think..
Old 10-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the claw View Post
Thanks.

No, supressors are not mandatory over here, but I really prefer to use them on my varmint rigs, and other heavy rifles (where weight is not an issue). So much nicer to shoot and makes it easier to spot your shots (much the same as using a brake) and the big benefit is that it is quiet, and animals don't all clear out at the first shot. Its quite funny watching a group of rabbits wondering why their mate next to them has just exploded! and then proceeding to shoot the rest of them without the others having much of a clue what is going on. Also good when you are shooting with a spotter as you don't need to wear earmuffs/plugs.

Good supressors are around $500 NZD fitted, so about $350USD. Money well spent I think..
As you probably know, owning a supressor hear in the US is like owning a full auto.... it is a Class III item and you have to pay a tax & etc......
Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
Romans 6:23 "The wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Romans 5:8, "God demonstrates His own love for us, in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us!"
Romans 10:13 "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved!"
Romans 10:9"If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved.."
Old 10-04-2010, 06:50 PM

Yes, seems a little odd I think. Here you need to jump through hoops if you want to own something like an AR15 (or similar "military style" semi auto's), and handguns, well that's even more restrictive... but supressors aren't a problem...
Old 10-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Bronze Member

Here's my old Rem 788 with a factory medium contour barrell chambered for .222 rem. Scope is a Monarch 4x16 with ballistic mil-dot.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_poolboy View Post
This is the only pic I could come up with. M96 Swede with a Kimber barrel chambered in .22-250Rem. I'm currently working on a homemade stock for it.

Good looking rig, nice camo job.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks!