Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Let's hear your rockchuck hunting stories.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: Let's hear your rockchuck hunting stories.

Well, I actually got out tonight. The wife said hey you go groundhog hunting tonight. I shot from next to the silo, don't let the picture fool you its only about 250 yards, dang camera phone. Anyway here's some pics.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Silver Member

Happy Memorial day everyone. Shot this one with my hunting buddy.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:54 PM
Bronze Member

recent rockchuck management. My buddy is shooting a 6.5 grendel necked down to .20. the old man kicked my ***** as he missed only a couple and could pick those suckers out among the rocks and sage. A lot of fun I am probably going to be reincarnated as a rockchuck. good good times can't wait for next trip. here is my rockchuck along side my 700 remington 22-250 the best shootin rifle i have ever owned. Love central desert Washington state. Sounds like I should get to know those Idaho boys. I am a member of Washington State Predator Hunting Association. Nice group of guys.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Let's hear your rockchuck hunting stories.-rockchuck-vs-22-250-600.jpg  
Old 05-31-2013, 10:58 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsnest2002 View Post
Well, I actually got out tonight. The wife said hey you go groundhog hunting tonight. I shot from next to the silo, don't let the picture fool you its only about 250 yards, dang camera phone. Anyway here's some pics.

250 yards that is a good shot I am a bit skeptical about these 1,000 yard claims people post. I would sure like to see it to believe it and learn from a long distance shooter. What is your set up?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:01 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsnest2002 View Post
Happy Memorial day everyone. Shot this one with my hunting buddy.
What a sweet heart. I am trying hard to get my boys to be true outdoorsman like myself. (very hard with the X-Box 360 short attention span immediate gratification generation.) thanks for sharing
Old 06-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Silver Member

The trick for the kids is to talk it up as much as possible. Also don't over do it when you take them out. She was tuckered out after an hour so we quit and went and got drinks from Sheetz gas station as a kind of reward. Just remember for every one of your steps its 3 to 4 steps for them .

Also for post earlier. My setup isn't really anything special, just a Rem 700 BDL varmint in a VLS stock and leupold FX 12x. I wish I had a little more umph in the optics because baby groundhogs are hard to see when they are low to the ground eating. Best group for what I've got is 2.5" at 400yrds 5 shot group. Around here finding the long shots is harder because of hills and houses. : (
Old 06-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Bronze Member

Had another good evening shoot last week. Found an out of the way spot that apparantly hasn't been hit for a while. I ended up getting 21 in less than an hour but the best part was the albino I shot on the drive out of the field. I've seen thousands of chucks over the years but have never seen one with this coloration. It doesn't show well in the photo but in the sunshine his eyes appeared pink.

Let's hear your rockchuck hunting stories.-dscn0576.jpg

This is another picture of the big one next to the albino. He weighed 13 lbs. The scope and sunshade on my rifle are 17.5" long.

Let's hear your rockchuck hunting stories.-dscn0571.jpg

I figure I have about another month of season left before they start heading underground because of the heat. To date my total for 2013 is 375. Not my best year ever but it's hard to complain!