Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Let's hear your rockchuck hunting stories.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Bronze Member

Let's hear your rockchuck hunting stories.

Shot this guy yesterday at 200 yards with a 55 gr Ballistic Tip Lead Free out of my .243 at 200 yards. I didn't realize how big he was until I went to pick him up. In 15 years of rockchuck hunting he is the biggest I've ever shot. The produce scale at Albertson's put him at 14#. The one behind him weighed 12#.

Let's hear your rockchuck hunting stories.-dscn0563.jpg

These two were a double shot at 300 yards with the same gun and load. One shot, two dead chucks. Another first for me.

Let's hear your rockchuck hunting stories.-dscn0559.jpg

Having a great season so far. I shot 50 on Saturday to bring my total to 230 for the year. How is everyone else's rockchuck season going??
Old 05-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Silver Member

Re: Let's hear your rockchuck hunting stories.

How many dirty looks did you get when you drug two dead chuck into Albertsons? The picture of that in my head is priceless HAHA!!
Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Silver Member

Where are you hunting?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

Fat bastages! Nice
Old 05-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Bronze Member

Thats alot of chucks, there must be a big problem with that many of them.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Bronze Member

I do most of my hunting on farm ground in Southern Idaho. Seems like that's where the big concentrations are. Last year a farmer friend of mine lost an entire 12 acre field of corn to the hungry critters. They went right down the row and took out every plant. It's taken a lot of bullets but I think we've got them under control this year. (It's a tough job but somebody has to do it). Total count for the year is approaching 300 now. We've got quite a few up in the mountains too but they are more scattered and not nearly as big as the farm fed ones.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt183 View Post
I do most of my hunting on farm ground in Southern Idaho. Seems like that's where the big concentrations are. Last year a farmer friend of mine lost an entire 12 acre field of corn to the hungry critters. They went right down the row and took out every plant. It's taken a lot of bullets but I think we've got them under control this year. (It's a tough job but somebody has to do it). Total count for the year is approaching 300 now. We've got quite a few up in the mountains too but they are more scattered and not nearly as big as the farm fed ones.
Nice! I'll let you know how our season goes----I have a group of buddies that come over the first week of June to central Idaho and we spend a week shooting and having an absolute blast. We have founded CIRCA (Central Idaho Rockchuck Association) and our mission is to shoot at them long range. We have 3 of our members over the 1000 yard club and we have several places that we can shoot to about 1700 yards. We have been really close at 1500 yards but man, everything has to be perfect. Our club record is 1157.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen