Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

How many Prairie Dogs have you shot in one sitting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Silver Member

Re: How many Prairie Dogs have you shot in one sitting?

Did you actually Read through the whole link you posted from wikepedia? If so, You would have read:
ORDER RODENTIA
Suborder Sciuromorpha
Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM

if you get tired of just saying we got X no. of dogs, then its time to start metering out shells. by that i mean, hand everyone the same no of shells, and see who has the hot hand. for instance "I got 40 dogs with 50 shots ! that keeps the competition going and not just total no.. In e. co. mothers day is the magic time for the pups to first appear. When they first come out, believe me they are lil bowling pins to shoot at. The rimfire lot is the best to use when they first show up. It is not unusual to get 2 x a time cause they are lined up. three are possible, but a rare one. then when ya get one and the nurse runs over to help, ya get a chance @ her. Yes and sometimes she tries to cart him off to the hospital. Theres all kind of games you can play. We have shot for years with a counter and it is a real joy to count with sincerity on no.s.. Our best was 327 in a four hr. period. we ran out of shells. that was a spring time run when the pups first came out, and they were to dumb to come in out of the rain so to speak. if your shootin the high speed centerfires, do yourself a favor and give ur barrel a chance to cool-off, cause you sure can ruin a good gun. taint worth it!! jc
Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Bronze Member

Another way to get them is with a shot gun. Usually the PD will not jump back in their hole if a truck or rino is moving, they are used to the ranchers moving around and will give ya nice close shoots. I have not do this but a friend of mine does and says its a hoot.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Gold Member

I didn't keep track, was having too much fun!!!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Did'nt keep exact count but somewhere between 500 and 550 , and it was not a full day , but I did'nt stop for Lunch ! Over many days and many years , the Average per day was roughly 200 , maybe a tad more .
Old 02-03-2011, 05:13 PM

I plan to go on my first trip this spring...what is the best way to start? Do you recommend staying at a ranch and paying or is it possible to simply drive to an area and hunt?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 03:25 AM
Gold Member

We stayed at a hotel an drove everyday a few min to the property. We were in SD and we only had to pay $20 each for the week. There was another piece of land that we aquired permission and didn't have to pay a thing. The lisence was$105 andit was on the lower brule Indian res near Pierre. The ammo was the most expensive part of the trip.