Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Help with Prairie dog equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Gold Member

Re: Help with Prairie dog equipment

Thumbs
Take a look at this sight:

portable shooting bench plans

I've been using benches like this for 30+ years. You can't get one any steadier than this and you can build it yourself, if you or one of your buddies can weld the pipe couplings to the plates.

Just screw the legs off for packing into the truck and screw them back on when you set up in the prairie dog town.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
Thumbs

I've been using benches like this for 30+ years. You can't get one any steadier than this and you can build it yourself, if you or one of your buddies can weld the pipe couplings to the plates.

Just screw the legs off for packing into the truck and screw them back on when you set up in the prairie dog town.

Thanks for the plans. My problem is with all the getting stuff together the last thing I thought about was a bench. I was originally going to go somewhere that had them but then it turns out to be way more than I can spend. Gotta fine private or public land. Anyway the problem is I thought about it to late. I just don't have the time to build one. I am hoping the tripod will work out.

A good sling is a great thing. Can't get much handier than that.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thumbs

Yep! I have one of those and it is awesome and sturdy too. Best money I spent.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatyrem View Post
Shooting prone is fun too. Cheap carpet and cheap sand bag.
Definitely need to put a pad down out in front of the muzzle as well unless one has a very good side discharge brake. The dust signature and blowback can literally be blinding. A cheap tarp will do just fine.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbs View Post
Thanks for the plans. My problem is with all the getting stuff together the last thing I thought about was a bench. I was originally going to go somewhere that had them but then it turns out to be way more than I can spend. Gotta fine private or public land. Anyway the problem is I thought about it to late. I just don't have the time to build one. I am hoping the tripod will work out.

A good sling is a great thing. Can't get much handier than that.
An aluminum surplus officer's cot makes a great above ground rest for prone or kneeling and keeps you low to the ground so as to not lett the little buggers know your exact location as easily.

If you can drive to the towns you can make a cheap/easy platform to lay across the bed of a pickup with a 36" wide full length piece of plywood and a 2x4 frame or you can use the tailgate as a platform and sit on a bucket.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Gold Member

Thumbs
Any kind of shooting bench is better than trying to shoot off the sticks. I've got one word for you: Pricklypear. If you don't know what that is, goodle it. It's a cactus that covers most if not all of the prairie region of the U.S. If you're going to be shooting off your belly you better have a thick pad. And I won't even mention prairie rattlers.

If nothing else, buy you a small folding leg table or cut you a piece of plywood and buy a pair of the folding legs for about $20 and add them to the plywood. If all else fails you can shoot over your hood from sandbags, but put something on the hood to keep from burning the paint off. Shooting off the bipods sounds good, but trust me, it's not.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Shooting off the bipods sounds good, but trust me, it's not.
Why not? I live in N. central Mt. (pretty much PD, gopher central) Bipods or sling is all I use, never saw the need for anything more. I've seen and used portable benches, but at the end of the day I was always left wondering why bother with it, just ends up being another piece of crap to load in the truck then unload afterwards. No offense just wondering why you think so, and stating my observations/conclusions.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe