Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Help with Prairie dog equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Silver Member

Help with Prairie dog equipment

I plan to do some prairie dog hunting while in the west this summer. Never hunted them before.
What kind of rest are you guys using for your rifles? I will be in a fifth wheel so I do have limited space. Are you using some kind of folding bench or are shooting sticks fine? Money is an object and I really don't know if I will be able to hunt them again. I would like whatever I use to be as portable as possible and take up as little storage room as possible.
I am looking for the Ford Chevy setup not the Lexis variety. I want something that works without all the bells and whistles. If shooting sticks are fine that's fine also. I was told my shots will be 200 yards or so.

Time is running out so I would have to buy whatever it is at Cabela's since it's an hour away and I don't have time for mail order.

thanks for the help
Old 06-10-2012, 08:06 PM

Re: Help with Prairie dog equipment

Here are the two i use depending on if i can drive to the PD town. I have a 5 gallon pail with a seat that i carry my bags, ammo ect. in. Hope this helps. They are on sale also.

Cabela's: Caldwell® DeadShot® FieldPod™

Cabela's: Big Game Swivel Action Shooting Bench
Old 06-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Proper use of a good quality military sling, or Harris Bipods.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-11-2012, 05:54 AM
Silver Member

Harris bipod with pivot is a good choice.. 200 yard shots a sitting position might prove to be fun.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the help guys. I got a chance to get to Cabela's and looked around for as many options as I could find that they had in stock. The key word is had in stock. I have a 9" bipod that may help Idono. Like I said this is my first pd hunt. I also wanted to get something as portable as possible and that I could use locally for groundhogs. I looked at the benches but they are to big and heavy. I don't have that kind of room I can dedicate to a shooting bench in the camper. I looked at the suggestions but they weren't in stock. I finally decided to get the Stony Creek Expedition tripod with the Tag Along attachment to help support the butt of the rifle. It's a compromise but I think it will work pretty well. I read the reviews and it rates pretty high. We will see. The big thing is it's about as small, light and handy as it gets. It can also be used as a mono pod or a bipod. No problem packing it or walking with it. I will be able to either sit, stand or use a chair with it. It's not a shooting bench but it holds the ar surprisingly well. Only time and the field will tell the story but I'll give it a try and hope for the best.

Hey thanks again guys.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbs View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I got a chance to get to Cabela's and looked around for as many options as I could find that they had in stock. The key word is had in stock. I have a 9" bipod that may help Idono. Like I said this is my first pd hunt. I also wanted to get something as portable as possible and that I could use locally for groundhogs. I looked at the benches but they are to big and heavy. I don't have that kind of room I can dedicate to a shooting bench in the camper. I looked at the suggestions but they weren't in stock. I finally decided to get the Stony Creek Expedition tripod with the Tag Along attachment to help support the butt of the rifle. It's a compromise but I think it will work pretty well. I read the reviews and it rates pretty high. We will see. The big thing is it's about as small, light and handy as it gets. It can also be used as a mono pod or a bipod. No problem packing it or walking with it. I will be able to either sit, stand or use a chair with it. It's not a shooting bench but it holds the ar surprisingly well. Only time and the field will tell the story but I'll give it a try and hope for the best.

Hey thanks again guys.

Shooting prone is fun too. Cheap carpet and cheap sand bag.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:19 AM
Silver Member

Just to clarify, I was talking about sitting unsupported or sling assisted. cross legged elbows to knees. When you get it right it's confertable and farly accurate.