Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Have you been Prairie dogs hunting yet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Gold Member

Have you been Prairie dogs hunting yet

Hays Guys

Have you been Prairie dogs hunting yet This year .

IF so let us know how you did an Post some Pic,s of your hunt .

Let us know what state you hunted in .

How many friends went with you ?

Let us know us how long was the Prairie dogs shots 300 yards ,500 yards or 100 yards

what kind of Rifle did you use ?

Redbone

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards

Old 06-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Gold Member

Re: Have you been Prairie dogs hunting yet

Hay Guys

I went last week Shot over 600 rounds .

Redbone

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards
Old 06-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Well, well, well. I don't see any pictures. Did you kill one or did they all get away.

<font color="blue">Don't get offended --it is just a little funny about shooting 600 rounds but not mentioning killing anything. </font> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

Have you been Prairie dogs hunting yet This year.
Oh Ya

IF so let us know how you did an Post some Pic,s of your hunt.
Well I kilt a few a course....My round count hasnt ben real high(maybe 50 rounds an afternoon)but the hit ratio is up over 80%

Let us know what state you hunted in.
Just Wyoming so far....LOL the dogs are a ½mile from the house [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

How many friends went with you?
So far most of my shooting has ben by myself but school is about out so my Daughter will no doubt wana get out and about with dad again.
Had a couple of guys from Wisc come out last week,they claimed it was the best shooting they have had in 20 years, they had hot 22-250 barrels for two days [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Let us know us how long was the Prairie dogs shots 300 yards ,500 yards or 100 yards
Most of the shooting so far this year has ben 100-300 yards but the range will get farther as my shoulder heals and the dogs get educated.

what kind of Rifle did you use ?
Ruger 77/22 with a Tasco 3-9 mildot scope=great for the real close ones and outa the truck.It tipped one over just past 200 yards to with a couple of walking shots.I like the rimfires cause they dont scare the dogs so bad...if you start shooting an area with the 22 ir 17HMR seams like you get more shots than if you start with a 204 or 223.

After you get all you can reach with the rimfire then a different kind of fun begins.The 243 shooting 55Noslers being my favorite.It shoots flat and can reach to 500 with relative ease.The best part is the <font color="red">Red-Mist </font> Effect it has on the dogs!
Couple of weeks ago when the pups where first out I had the 204 out for its virgin run.It did a great job of wacking pups but the 32 Vmax leaves a little to be desired as far as damage and airtime on a full grown dog but the 40s did alright.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Silver Member

7 of us just got back from PD hunting in western ND. Wet, windy,muddy- oh such a wonderful time, we have had worse and better with regards to weather but dogs were out a plenty and we had the privilege of 3 great days of shooting (it is always a great day when out shooting). I am guessing 3,500 rounds total in between the rain showers for the group of us.

We were flanked on all sides but we were able to hold them off to save the world again. It is so much fun.

I had three guns along- a .223, 22.250 and a 6mmBR. I had a 430 yd shot with the 250 and a 465 with the BR. Not any personal best in the yardage department but did have a personal best in the "launching" distance of one particular critter with a friends 25-06. 22ft from POI. Hope to reach a personal best for yardage once I get the Kirby ray machine later this year.

Didn't post any pics, sorry.

Thwap!!

1kstr
Old 06-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Just got back from a two day trip in the Texas Pan Handle. Weather was great mid 80's with minimal wind 5-15 mph. Sunny but some cloud cover blowing through. Shots ranged from 150 yds to 600+ The two of us shot about 1600 rds over the two days. Cartridges used were .223 one bolt one AR. 22-250 Both bolt one etronx, One 243ack bolt gun. Longest shot was just over 600yds. Average being around 350yds. We learned several things. For starters 50gr bullets minimum in the 22 cal department. The 22-250 will get it done farther out than the .223 but will heat up and neads to be heavy enough to spot shots. The 243 ackley was the go to gun for consistent 500yd plus kills. One shot kills were not uncommon after it was dialed in for the range. The 105gr amax is the only VLD that expands. Berger 105's and 95's shot great but just would not put the dogs down unless they were direct hits. I put about 400rds down the Etronx on the battery it came with. Brought extras in case but didn't need them. One misfire in the Etronx. Not sure yet but seems like primer? Need to pull the bullet on that one. Very please with the etronx especially the loaded chamber indicator was great instead of that annoying "click" when your out. A tuned .223 can out shoot the 22-250 at long range especially when you need a couple shots to get there. Amazes me how well the 223 will take dogs up to 500yds.

Lance
Old 06-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

I just came back from PD shooting In Colorado I had a great time My Equipment was as follows Remington 40x in 25-06 AI shooting 100G Sierra hpbt match bullets 57g H4831 SC velocity 3477 my longest shot last week was 700 yards I think it took 6 shots I dialed the drop in my leupold 8.5-25 boosted to 14.5X34 and was on target in 3 shots the rest was watching wind and a little luck. The best shot was on a PD at 200 yards with my 223AI shooting a 40g vmax 28.2G h322 velocity 3700 fps This shot was very close and not much of a challenge I shot several dogs with this gun at 500 yards but after The shot I was watching the PD flop around and I was getting ready to put another shot into it when a coyote ran into my line of sight and picked up the PD and started running off I couldn't believe this after sitting there shooting over 200 shots, I waited until the coyote stopped and Then put 2 40 grain vmax in him.