Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

First SD prairie dog shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

Re: First SD prairie dog shoot

bipods is all i shoot off of. Sounds like numbers down in the south but they are higher than ever up north here.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:10 AM
Silver Member

I've done a few trips to SD dogging. We mostly used benches. The last time I added a little stealth, sitting on the edge of a small rise. The benches are fine but keeping a lower profile & adding some 'hunting' to the mix can help with more close shots. My former gunsmith was big on roving around the edge of a dogtown on foot, with a portable rest.

Just watch out for snakes & such, but something to think about.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:45 AM

Well, all the weapons and ammo are packed. We leave in a few hours headed out there. I will post a report on Monday when we get back
Old 06-11-2012, 01:28 PM

Location: Dayton OH -- For a Liberal State They Don't Mind Guns

Any update -- I am heading out on Saturday to the Circle View for shooting from Sunday to Wednesday then off to NW Nebraska to try out another location.

Thanks

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker548 View Post
Hey all. Been reading here for a while, so went ahead and joined up. I just got done making my reservations to shoot some P dogs in South Dakota. Me and 3 buddies from work are heading to the Circle View Ranch in May. Read a bunch of good reveiws so decided to make it happen. Its quite the drive, so hopefully the weather is good. Anyway, was a little pumped up bout it and had to share.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

I would love to hear about the Circle View! Havent been out on a PD shoot but want to head out and give it a shot.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I'm guessing the answer to my question can vary depending on weather but what are typically the best times or months to book for PD shooting???
When their holes are flooded from a big rain.. .

Watch out for rattlesnakes though!

Anytime other than winter is great for them. Once the hot summer is on you though the middle of the day tends to be pretty slow.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukwildcats View Post
From Experience

-- Do not drive out in the Prairie's when wet, the SD Mud/Hard Pan/etc is very slippery and getting stuck would kill a trip and a tow truck is hours away

-- When driving out the Walmart/Cabella's in Mitchell SD is the last stop for food/supplies etc before the badlands/Interior -- good place to stock up

-- You are not allowed to drive out on Public land to shoot or set up, you must walk it. It is still legal to drive out on Private land or Indian Reservations if you have permission

-- Mount Rushmore is a great trip to make on a bad shooting day (rain/wind/etc) -- a couple of hours away -- Fed Govt does charge for parking but not for admission. Custer State Park is pretty neat -- Buffalo herd is generally easy to see -- State charges for admission but it is for vehicle

-- Bring a good pair of bino's, these should be about 8x or greater but smaller objectives since you are shooting during the day and there is plenty of light. I use 10x40 with good eye relief - first year my bino's had almost no eye relief and my eyes were sore from using them

-- Unless you are planning exploring the Badlands when you hit the Badlands entrance tell them you are not stopping and are on the way to Interior/Circle View -- They should not charge you admission. The younger Park Rangers keep trying to charge but we never paid (and never stopped)

From Dayton it is 1200 miles and 20 hours -- are you sure your 15 hours is correct to Circle View Ranch in Interior

UK
To add to yours.

Be very careful about getting on Indian Lands. They manage their own and you must have a reservation license to hunt them.

Indian Game Wardens tend to have no sense of humor.