Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

First SD prairie dog shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

Re: First SD prairie dog shoot

SD Gf&P website concerning praire dogs: SD GFP | Hunting | Small Game | Prairie Dogs
Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 PM

Location: Dayton OH -- For a Liberal State They Don't Mind Guns

The breakfast at the Circle View is very good also -- Amy (owner) has chickens on site and has fresh eggs every morning.

Last year I enjoyed watching the chickens chase the bugs -- and be careful of Rattle Snakes, we killed a baby Rattler last year in the parking area -- surprised it did not hurt someone, one of the other visitors indicated he kicked it by accident after dark -- we went out and took care of it before it bite someone. A day earlier there was a dead chicken that probably was killed by the snake.

Wall is not a bad drive -- maybe 45 minutes -- but have to go through the badlands which is has many switchbacks. Rapid city is a straight shot up the road also -- probably 90 minutes but a very easy straight drive.

UK
Old 03-23-2012, 07:46 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. When I talked to the gal on the phone, I told her the main reason for goin was to hunt PD. She didnt say anything about the no rain/no shoot deal, but Ill call back when the date gets a little closer. Hope everything is cool, cuz its a 15 hour 1 way trip for 4 guys and a bunch of ammo in a TrailblazerKeep all the feedback comin this way, I need all the help I can get
Old 03-23-2012, 08:05 AM

From Experience

-- Do not drive out in the Prairie's when wet, the SD Mud/Hard Pan/etc is very slippery and getting stuck would kill a trip and a tow truck is hours away

-- When driving out the Walmart/Cabella's in Mitchell SD is the last stop for food/supplies etc before the badlands/Interior -- good place to stock up

-- You are not allowed to drive out on Public land to shoot or set up, you must walk it. It is still legal to drive out on Private land or Indian Reservations if you have permission

-- Mount Rushmore is a great trip to make on a bad shooting day (rain/wind/etc) -- a couple of hours away -- Fed Govt does charge for parking but not for admission. Custer State Park is pretty neat -- Buffalo herd is generally easy to see -- State charges for admission but it is for vehicle

-- Bring a good pair of bino's, these should be about 8x or greater but smaller objectives since you are shooting during the day and there is plenty of light. I use 10x40 with good eye relief - first year my bino's had almost no eye relief and my eyes were sore from using them

-- Unless you are planning exploring the Badlands when you hit the Badlands entrance tell them you are not stopping and are on the way to Interior/Circle View -- They should not charge you admission. The younger Park Rangers keep trying to charge but we never paid (and never stopped)

From Dayton it is 1200 miles and 20 hours -- are you sure your 15 hours is correct to Circle View Ranch in Interior

UK
Old 03-26-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukwildcats View Post
From Experience

-- Do not drive out in the Prairie's when wet, the SD Mud/Hard Pan/etc is very slippery and getting stuck would kill a trip and a tow truck is hours away

-- When driving out the Walmart/Cabella's in Mitchell SD is the last stop for food/supplies etc before the badlands/Interior -- good place to stock up

-- You are not allowed to drive out on Public land to shoot or set up, you must walk it. It is still legal to drive out on Private land or Indian Reservations if you have permission

-- Mount Rushmore is a great trip to make on a bad shooting day (rain/wind/etc) -- a couple of hours away -- Fed Govt does charge for parking but not for admission. Custer State Park is pretty neat -- Buffalo herd is generally easy to see -- State charges for admission but it is for vehicle

-- Bring a good pair of bino's, these should be about 8x or greater but smaller objectives since you are shooting during the day and there is plenty of light. I use 10x40 with good eye relief - first year my bino's had almost no eye relief and my eyes were sore from using them

-- Unless you are planning exploring the Badlands when you hit the Badlands entrance tell them you are not stopping and are on the way to Interior/Circle View -- They should not charge you admission. The younger Park Rangers keep trying to charge but we never paid (and never stopped)

From Dayton it is 1200 miles and 20 hours -- are you sure your 15 hours is correct to Circle View Ranch in Interior

UK
Excellent advice. Thank you. As far as the drive goes, we all work in Ft. Wayne, so I mapped it from there. Dayton is about 3 hours from where I live, and 4 or so from Ft. Wayne, so that about right. I noticed on the website that they do not provide benches. What do you find works the best out there? Is there any place nearby that we could rent benches? Thanks again everyone
Old 03-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker548 View Post
Excellent advice. Thank you. As far as the drive goes, we all work in Ft. Wayne, so I mapped it from there. Dayton is about 3 hours from where I live, and 4 or so from Ft. Wayne, so that about right. I noticed on the website that they do not provide benches. What do you find works the best out there? Is there any place nearby that we could rent benches? Thanks again everyone
You will be long ways from anywhere at Interior. Whatever you need you better bring with you or pickup on the way.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackiinSD View Post
You will be long ways from anywhere at Interior. Whatever you need you better bring with you or pickup on the way.
JackinSD is correct -- we generally shoot off the hood of the vehicle with shooting rest bags -- like these: http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-ShootN-Bag-Filled/dp/B001GXJJ84/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332804396&sr=8-3
I have also have walked into the small PD towns and used by backpack to shoot off of -- just be careful of the cow pattys and other ranch stuff.

Some Private PD Outfitters have tables set up on the towns that you can use -- or you can bring your own.

If you know where you are going they might be able to help -- or give advice on what to use and where to get it.

UK

Last edited by ukwildcats; 03-26-2012 at 08:13 PM.