Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

First SD prairie dog shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 11:38 AM

First SD prairie dog shoot

Hey all. Been reading here for a while, so went ahead and joined up. I just got done making my reservations to shoot some P dogs in South Dakota. Me and 3 buddies from work are heading to the Circle View Ranch in May. Read a bunch of good reveiws so decided to make it happen. Its quite the drive, so hopefully the weather is good. Anyway, was a little pumped up bout it and had to share.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Gold Member

Re: First SD prairie dog shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker548 View Post
Hey all. Been reading here for a while, so went ahead and joined up. I just got done making my reservations to shoot some P dogs in South Dakota. Me and 3 buddies from work are heading to the Circle View Ranch in May. Read a bunch of good reveiws so decided to make it happen. Its quite the drive, so hopefully the weather is good. Anyway, was a little pumped up bout it and had to share.
I hope we see some rain before then. Right now, they are asking that firearms not be fired outdoors due to extreme fire danger.

Not trying to put a damper on your hunt, just thought you might like to ask that question of Circle View Ranch before you make your trip to find their land access is not there.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Gold Member

I'm guessing the answer to my question can vary depending on weather but what are typically the best times or months to book for PD shooting???
Old 03-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I'm guessing the answer to my question can vary depending on weather but what are typically the best times or months to book for PD shooting???
I love hunting them around Mothers Day because it's starting to warm up and they have just dropped their little ones. Having all the little babies run around creates a lot more targets and harder shots when you really want to stretch yourself.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

+1 on the rain! As for best time to go I prefer June thru November. In a normal year the spring rains are finished and the back roads firm up, the little targets are getting a little bigger by June as well.

This year, lack of rain has already put the fire danger into the red, as previously stated.Whenever you go you'll have a blast!

Bring LOTS of ammo, don't take any home.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:52 PM

Location: Dayton OH -- For a Liberal State They Don't Mind Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker548 View Post
Have stayed at the Circle View Ranch the last 3 years -- and have reservations for June -- Great place to stay. The Wagon Wheel bar in Interior is a decent place to eat -- really not alot of options but the food is decent -- would stay away from the other bar.

The Badlands Lodge is ok -- Going to Wall is a long drive to go for food -- I would plan on bringing food to cook if you like.

Prairie Dogs -- Last year the population was down -- The plague hit the towns hard so good luck -- Previous years was very good and hoping the PD have been busy this winter.

Uk
Old 03-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Gold Member

Public land hunting doesn't start till the 16thof June I believe. That late date is to make sure you don't kill a whole litter with each shot. It also gives you a lot more targets.

The breakfast at Wall Drugs is worth the drive.