Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

First Call and Kill on a Coyote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First Call and Kill on a Coyote

Your in trouble now , coyote killing is more of a disease for which there is no hope for other than finding and killing more.
The last three we killed got shot nearly of the end of my boots, I like them a little farther. We have a little 17HMR for popping them in close and it works well.
We call as many in during the mid morning and mid after noon as any other time, I think the best times have to do in part with you calling style and the type of calls your using.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

i was thinking you had the hunting curse from all the trouble you had, but when a wild dog comes up to you that close and basically lets you shoot it, i changed my theory to you have the best worst luck ever thats like getting struck by lightning attacked by a shark and winning the lottery all in the same day!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Bronze Member

Howdy and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Now, I guess you know, you are officially addicted!!! There is no hunting like calling coyotes. Back when I graduated college (1975) I paid off my college loans calling and skinning coyotes. I can document 1200 kills, ALL from the same rifle. It is now retired, hee hee and so am I. But I still get out and call four or five times a month during the winter.

Oh, a technique that I used, when the coyote came in and "made" me, I waited for him to run straight away from me. Invariably he will look back over his shoulder for a last look. Follow his nose with your cross hair and when he looks back shoot his nose! You will break his neck 9 times out of ten.

Have fun!!! Congratulations again, and shoot straight.

Coach
Old 12-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Bronze Member

Congrats!One word can sum it all up, EXCELLENT! I am trying to do the same here in NJ, but we can only use shotgun or muzzleloader, and no muzzleloaders are allowed for night hunting. Shotgun shot sizes are from #4 to #T. (If you put a load of #4B in a shotgun in the woods will anybody hear it?)
I have used the Johnny Stewart calls before, and from what I hear, they produce the doggies.
I just bought the Primos Sonic Dome and Double Howler, and have had some responses to my calls when I was out on the porch one night having a smoke.
After deer season I plan to get serious in taking out some doggies.
Keep killing and posting pics!