Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Finding PD hunting "cheap"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

Finding PD hunting "cheap"

We are headed west at the end of the week. We will be all over, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Iowa and states north. How should I go about finding places to hunt? If it can be done and if there is any good shooting I would like to hunt on public land. I don't know where or when we will be in any particular area so outfitters would be tough, and expensive.

Anyway is there a way to find public and private land to hunt prairie dogs on without selling my first born male child?

Thanks for the help

Gary
Old 06-11-2012, 11:23 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Finding PD hunting "cheap"

I'm certainly no expert on the subject, Gary, but we went to Wyoming blind a couple of years ago to hunt. We stopped into the local BLM office to ask about hunting. They wouldn't give any specific locations of towns but pointed us in directions of areas that had plenty of public land and towns in the general area. They also gave us general ideas of areas population trends. We just cruised the back roads and two-tracks until we came upon a town big enough to shoot. I'm sure there were bigger/denser pd towns than we shot but it kept us happy.
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 06-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Stop at the local sporting goods stores and ask, folks come in all the time tellin about yesterdays hunt. So the guy behind the counter is sorta like a repository for whats where and how good it is
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

Get a mapping GPS and load http://www.longrangehunting.com/store/gps-hunting-topo-maps.html.

That way you can see what the legal status of the land you are passing through is, private or public. If it happens to be private it shows the name of the owner and often they will let you trespass to help them control PDs.

Jack
Old 06-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Gold Member

Thumbs
Shoot me a PM. Maybe I can help.
Nimrodmar10
Old 06-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
Thumbs
Shoot me a PM. Maybe I can help.
Nimrodmar10

Thanks I'll send one off this evening.

I have done searches on line and have learned quite a bit about this stuff. Yep local knowledge is the way to go for sure. My problem is we are "kinda" passin through. Not to say I can't take a day or two but I can't take a week or so. I am goin to try to stop in a few places and see what I can find out. Talked to an outfitter and they were talkin shots of 200 yards and more. That kinda tells me the area is pretty well hunted. They may be trying to prepare me but I was thinking most shots would be up to about 200 with some longer and some shorter. Idono this is my first time. LOL The problem is for the amount of time I may have an outfitter is way to expensive.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:57 PM
SPONSOR

If you're strapped for time, an outfitter may be exactly what you need. You trade some time and trouble for an area to shoot and first-hand knowledge.
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."