Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Federal American Eagle FMJ 30-06 150gr..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Federal American Eagle FMJ 30-06 150gr..

Hi Kristian,

The Federal brass is okay for reloading and will do just fine if not pushed too hard. It does have a tendency to be on the soft side, which limits it's useful life compared to some of the more "durable" makes. Keep your pressures at a reasonable level, and avoid excessive sizing if possible, and it will do a decent job for you. I have very little experience with the Barnes bullet in the field, so I'd defer that question to someone who does. Sorry, but I'd rather steer you to someone who knows than to steer you wrong myself!

Hope that helps,

KevinThomas
Lapua USA
Old 03-31-2010, 10:14 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Hi Kristian,

The Federal brass is okay for reloading and will do just fine if not pushed too hard. It does have a tendency to be on the soft side, which limits it's useful life compared to some of the more "durable" makes. Keep your pressures at a reasonable level, and avoid excessive sizing if possible, and it will do a decent job for you. I have very little experience with the Barnes bullet in the field, so I'd defer that question to someone who does. Sorry, but I'd rather steer you to someone who knows than to steer you wrong myself!

Hope that helps,

KevinThomas
Lapua USA
Hi Kevin.
Thank you for an answer.
Your opinion interesting me and I will be beholden for a help on information about a cartridge Sellier&Bellot 30-06 XLC 180g..
With kind regards,
Kristian.
P.S.
You are acquainted with a bullet "Woodleigh bullets" 240gr. BC.401- I want to use it on a polar bear ( Chukotka ),-Your opinions of recommendation on this hunt.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Hey Kristian,

Again, I'd have to defer an answer here, but I have heard good things about the Woodleigh bullets. Not the same as field experience, though, so you might be better off hearing from someone who has actually used them in the field. I'm first and foremost a competitive shooter, and do far more of that type of shooting than I do hunting. Sounds like I may get to go on a moose hunt in Finland this next October, but I'm sure you can guess whose bullets I'll be using on that one!

Where are you writing from?

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA