Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.


Reply

Federal American Eagle FMJ 30-06 150gr..

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 30
Federal American Eagle FMJ 30-06 150gr..

Question.
Your opinion and advice for small game of cartridge Federal American Eagle FMJ 30-06 150gr..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
Re: Federal American Eagle FMJ 30-06 150gr..

I can't think of any use for a Full-Metal-Jacketed bullet, unless you are hunting a fur-bearing animal for the hide.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 30
Re: Federal American Eagle FMJ 30-06 150gr..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFC View Post
I can't think of any use for a Full-Metal-Jacketed bullet, unless you are hunting a fur-bearing animal for the hide.
Task : varmint and animals(fox,wolf) - max.100kg.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-23-2010, 06:56 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
Re: Federal American Eagle FMJ 30-06 150gr..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristian55 View Post
Task : varmint and animals(fox,wolf) - max.100kg.

220 pound varmints??? Better bring the .338! What part of the world are you in? Wolves are protected around here (too bad) and foxes or coyotes are very big.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 30
Re: Federal American Eagle FMJ 30-06 150gr..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFC View Post
220 pound varmints??? Better bring the .338! What part of the world are you in? Wolves are protected around here (too bad) and foxes or coyotes are very big.
Hi Junior.
Read:varmint AND animals

.338 -100kg.- funny
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sedalia, MO
Posts: 1,253
Re: Federal American Eagle FMJ 30-06 150gr..

Kristian,

Better shoot some and see how the accuracy is before you even worry too much about hunting with these. Like WTFC, I'd hesitate to suggest an FMJ for most hunting needs, especially in factory ammunition. The FMJs can be useful for some pelt hnting, but they'll need to be loaded down quite a bit for that application. At top end velocities, FMJ or not, they can be pretty destructive, and will flat out unhinge a small varmint like a fox.

My concern here centers more on the accuracy issue; FMJs are generally the least accurate bullets you'll find. The Federal American Eagle, especially being a "bargain load" is going to be a real fine example of this. Most of these use the same FMJ style bullets as that they use for military spec ammunition, which translates into about 2.5-3 MOA being acceptable for accuracy. Fine for a rack grade Garand or M14/M1A in a combat match, but most of us would like something a little more refined for an accurate bolt gun. I know whose bullets Federal used to use (and I believe, still do) and 3 MOA is about the best you can reliably hope for with these. Trust me, I tested tens of thousands of these.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 30
Re: Federal American Eagle FMJ 30-06 150gr..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Kristian,

Better shoot some and see how the accuracy is before you even worry too much about hunting with these. Like WTFC, I'd hesitate to suggest an FMJ for most hunting needs, especially in factory ammunition. The FMJs can be useful for some pelt hnting, but they'll need to be loaded down quite a bit for that application. At top end velocities, FMJ or not, they can be pretty destructive, and will flat out unhinge a small varmint like a fox.

My concern here centers more on the accuracy issue; FMJs are generally the least accurate bullets you'll find. The Federal American Eagle, especially being a "bargain load" is going to be a real fine example of this. Most of these use the same FMJ style bullets as that they use for military spec ammunition, which translates into about 2.5-3 MOA being acceptable for accuracy. Fine for a rack grade Garand or M14/M1A in a combat match, but most of us would like something a little more refined for an accurate bolt gun. I know whose bullets Federal used to use (and I believe, still do) and 3 MOA is about the best you can reliably hope for with these. Trust me, I tested tens of thousands of these.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Hi Kevin.
Thank you for an answer.
For me Your answer is more complete.
Two questions:
-what amount of cycles can be used cases Federal American Eagle FMJ 30-06 150gr.. for reloading;
-Now I want to test a cartridge Sellier&Bellot 30-06 XLC 180g. did you use this cartridge with a Barnes bullet, what opinions ?
With respect,
Kristian.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Federal American Eagle FMJ 30-06 150gr..
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
american arms eagle 380 firing pin Lefty Hunter Gunsmithing 0 01-23-2011 06:56 AM
WTS Federal 30-06 150gr hunting ammo bglimpse Reloading Equipment and Components 1 10-04-2010 11:31 PM
FS Eagle Arms Golden Eagle BABore Guns For Sale 0 03-16-2005 11:26 AM
308 American Eagle 150 fmj?? Pat S. Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 1 03-03-2003 05:33 PM

Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 32.06%
67 Votes
NO - 51.20%
107 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 16.75%
35 Votes
Total Votes: 209
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC