Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Favorite Varmint Cartridge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 08:35 PM

Re: Favorite Varmint Cartridge

6-284 gets bad rap as a barrel burner keep em clean they aren't bad accuracy is great! I have a Burris 8-32 saving for Nightforce!
Old 01-17-2014, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by North90Bucks View Post
6-284 gets bad rap as a barrel burner keep em clean they aren't bad accuracy is great! I have a Burris 8-32 saving for Nightforce!
Ya I figured they would since your burning all that powder out of that little diameter, but like you said take care of it and it'll work haha! I've never used Burris before but hear good things about them. Personally, I don't think I will ever own a Nightforce, I know everyone... bring on the hate, if I was going to have a battle rifle or something that you can't help not to get it abused then I'd have a Nightforce on it. But for varmint hunting, deer, and packing a rifle in the mountains I really don't need all of that ruggedness. A good Leupold or a Vortex, that I'm going to buy for my current build, is what I will stick with for normal hunting scenarios. The price of the Nightforces is a lot and the only thing that you're getting over the others is the ruggedness. I understand you can get FFP reticles and zero stops, but I don't use those so that's why I don't need a Nightforce. I'm not trying to tick anyone off or hate on Nightforces at all, they are amazing scopes but I will never use it to its max so it's just not for me.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:17 PM

I agree with what you're saying. I want one for the magnification and the reticle. I will probably opt for the benchrest or a used nsx. I like the zero stop and the side focus but don't need either. If I miss a groundhog forgetting to set back to zero it isnt life or death. I know guys say they shoot 1000 with 20x, but if I can have 42 to me it beats 20, like 20 beats the 10's we used to use lol.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I agree with what you're saying. I want one for the magnification and the reticle. I will probably opt for the benchrest or a used nsx. I like the zero stop and the side focus but don't need either. If I miss a groundhog forgetting to set back to zero it isnt life or death. I know guys say they shoot 1000 with 20x, but if I can have 42 to me it beats 20, like 20 beats the 10's we used to use lol.
Ya I understand what you mean. You can pick a benchrest one up for like $1200. And haha, were you in the military when you said you use to use 10x?
Old 01-18-2014, 10:42 AM

I wasn't but my older brother was and he was my main teacher. Growing up 10x was big no wonder 300 was long range lol. We had Mauser 98's with heavy Douglas barrels from Flaigs in Pittsburgh. I loved that place, but those days are long gone.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I wasn't but my older brother was and he was my main teacher. Growing up 10x was big no wonder 300 was long range lol. We had Mauser 98's with heavy Douglas barrels from Flaigs in Pittsburgh. I loved that place, but those days are long gone.
Haha sounds like good times! Those old 98 sporters are fun and you still see them being used every now and again.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Bronze Member

My favorite varmint caliber is the 204. I have shot multiple prairie dogs in a row out to 600 yards so far. You can see the red mist in the scope and see the misses so that you can make your changes for the next shot without the need of a spotter. Low recoil, fast, accurate and does not require much powder to reload. I built a 6.5-284 to get me into the 1,000 prairie dog club but it is not near as much fun to shoot. I am having a new barrel built for my 6mm AI for long range coyote hunting. I am partial to the Vortex Viper scopes for the money and quality.