Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

which do you prefer, bi-pod or bags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 02:09 AM
Gold Member

Re: which do you prefer, bi-pod or bags

I have never tried a bipod but I do like using a sandbag on a table. I will put one under the rifle balancing it, then use my hand at the butt.

Like you, I didn't like carrying all that weight so I started using a cloth filled bag. I have only shot to 300 yards with it, but tomorrow I am trying 400 if the weather is nice.

I didn't like the cloth filled bag at first because there was movement, but I have been concentrating intently on doing everything correctly lately, and have been doing phenomenally with that bag.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 07-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Bi-pods +1000!!! Ijust use my pack for a rear support if needed.

Saves from hauling around heavy bags plus the rest of the gear.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaders_loft View Post
if you want a pod lock go to T-Nuts.com: T-Nuts, T-Bolts, Knobs, Adjustable Levers, Handles
they have the best price hands down. I bought the MICRO and its got plenty of leverage for my 2 harris bipods (BR and a sitting model). Plus, the micro doesn't stick out so much.
Best deal around.
I bought many levers from T-Nuts for my Harris bipods; they work great. What do you guys use on the screw that tightens the bipod to the stud? I never seem to have a coin handy when I need one. I would rather have a hand tightenable screw in place of the original.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

The harris bipod I have came with a large, knurled head screw that tightens the bipod to the swivel stud. The screw is designed to be turned by hand. The only tool you could use would be a pair of pliers - there's no slot in the head of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
I bought many levers from T-Nuts for my Harris bipods; they work great. What do you guys use on the screw that tightens the bipod to the stud? I never seem to have a coin handy when I need one. I would rather have a hand tightenable screw in place of the original.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

I usually carry keys in my pocket, if not coins. the base of a housekey works too.

Some bi-pods have a slot, others have a thumbwheel.... maybe tnuts has a knob screw that would work...
Old 07-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Bronze Member

which do you prefer, bi-pod or bags

Harris BR
Old 07-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Silver Member

I use both the Harris bipod and carry around a rear bag that's filled with Styrofoam balls in my day pack for hunting. Keeps both hands free while hunting.
When I'm PD'en I use a 360 degree bench and a front rest and rear bag. It all depends on how portable you want to be. Can't beat either method when used for the right circumstances.