Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

which do you prefer, bi-pod or bags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Silver Member

which do you prefer, bi-pod or bags

Ok I'm shooting woodchucks in eastern NY and at the moment I use my portable bench with sand bags, the type that you can wiggle the gun down into the vee and a small bag under the butt stock.
I have never used a bi-pod and wonder if it would be as or more stable than bags. It would be nice to not need to carry the 30 lb bag if I have to setup any distance from the vehicle.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: which do you prefer, bi-pod or bags

I shoot off of a harris bi-pod, 9-13" with the swivel head. It is great for varmints and deer. Then all you have to carry is the small bag for the rear.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

+1 on harris swivel bipod, but I also have a podloc on it and love it.

I use it for hunting and f-class. I use the br one to get as close to the ground as possible. I have a 9-13 also but I perferr the br.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Last edited by blipelt; 06-27-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Agreed...benchrest model is next on my list of bi-pods to acquire. Then a podlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipelt View Post
+1 on harris swivel bipod, but I also have a podloc on it and love it.

I use it for hunting and f-class. I use the br one to get as close to the ground as possible. I have a 9-13 also but I perferr the br.

Brent
Old 06-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member

flyin lizard,
I like and use them both. These days I seem to be using a little rear bag under the forearm, with my left hand under the buttstock, more than anything. It seems to work good when shooting crows and "hawgs" across the hood of my truck. I've only taken them out to 252yds using this pseudo-field method, but it's pretty steady and works for me.
I like the steadiness of the Harris bipods. I've had a 9-13" model for a very long time and use it occasionally. I do see the need for one of the longer swivel models (13-25"?) so that I can employ it while sitting.
I use a shooting stick (cut 1" diameter tree) while big-game hunting also. It helps steady the crosshairs for those precision shots that are required for putting down animals quickly and humanely. I'm not as steady as I used to be and find myself looking for rest situations where I can prop up my right elbow, which for me adds another element to the equation and makes the rest rock steady. JohnnyK.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

if you want a pod lock go to T-Nuts.com: T-Nuts, T-Bolts, Knobs, Adjustable Levers, Handles

they have the best price hands down. I bought the MICRO and its got plenty of leverage for my 2 harris bipods (BR and a sitting model). Plus, the micro doesn't stick out so much.

Best deal around.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Bronze Member

I agree with the t-nuts. Very good price and different styles to choose from. I have one of the nylon/stainless and one of the metal/stainless and like them both. The metal one is of coarse a little heavier and feels unbreakable, but both work great. As for bipods I have both the harris s br and the 9-13. I usually always shoot the br, as off a bench or prone it usually fits me better.